Menu
Rod101
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Cancel during 14 day cooling off period after an upgrade.

After 30 years with Virgin/NTL, I have been completely messed around by Virgin Media and even though they repeatedly claim they care they do nothing to resolve the issue and give false promises.

I am still in my 14 day cooling off period after a broadband upgrade and intend to cancel. The contract is different to the offer and upgrade confirmation and they are an omnoshambles trying to resolve. I now realise I can get a far better deal elsewhere, which is even cheaper today than yesterday.

So my question is: when I cancel my ugrade, as Virgin Media has left me no other feasible choice, do I revert back to my original 30 day rolling contract or do they just cut off my broadband?

I dont really care either way, but just need to know as I don't want to have to pay two broadband suppliers for overlapping services. I would prefer to know from someone who as done this. I would ask Virgin Media directly but I feel I cannot trust them even when it is recorded in chat or shown on their website in black and white.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cancel during 14 day cooling off period after an upgrade.

Your cooling off cancellation rights apply specifically to the new contract.  If you cancel that, then VM could by mutual agreement cancel all services outright, they would also be within their rights to say "we've cancelled your upgrade, but that means our pre-existing rolling contract still applies, you have to give 30 days notice".  As there's another month's money in holding you to the original contract, I'd expect that's most likely.  You could serve the 30 days notice under the old contract at the same time you cancel the upgrade. 

But be aware that reports round here indicate cancellations are as chaotic as some other aspects of VM's customer service, so a few people get their service cancelled too early, some don't get it cancelled at all, others get charged termination fees they aren't liable for, yet others still have problems with returning equipment.  Make sure you keep records of any communications with VM.

One other thing.  If you try and "butt-joint" two ISP services, you are 100% reliant on the new connection being installed on time, and having no initial setup faults.  At this point in time there's certain risks in doing that, and it may be worth overlapping them.  And in terms of the new ISP, would you be willing to pay a bit more for superior service and technical support?  If so consider the offerings of AAISP, Aquiss, CIX, IDNet, uno, or Zen Internet.  You may still choose to go with the big and scaly ISPs like Sky/Now, BT/Plusnet, or Vodafone, either way, read customer reviews before signing up with anybody.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rod101
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancel during 14 day cooling off period after an upgrade.

Hi,
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Very useful comments and tips

regards,
Rod.

0 Kudos