cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel due to price increase

gbhswindon
Joining in

I understand that we’ll all soon receive letters/emails to confirm price increases. Is it the case that if we’re not happy with the increase we can end our contract with no penalty?  (Keen to move back to Talk Talk at the earliest opportunity for better speeds).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @gbhswindon 

If you receive a price increase letter or email then yes you can cancel without paying any early termination fees providing you do so within 30 days of receiving the correspondence.

Info below from https://www.virginmedia.com/help/PriceChange2022/Broadband 

"We hope you’ll carry on enjoying your services with us. But if you decide not to, you can change or cancel your package at any time before the date stated on your email or letter, without paying any cancellation fees. Simply call us on 0800 052 2001."

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @gbhswindon 

If you receive a price increase letter or email then yes you can cancel without paying any early termination fees providing you do so within 30 days of receiving the correspondence.

Info below from https://www.virginmedia.com/help/PriceChange2022/Broadband 

"We hope you’ll carry on enjoying your services with us. But if you decide not to, you can change or cancel your package at any time before the date stated on your email or letter, without paying any cancellation fees. Simply call us on 0800 052 2001."

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hey @gbhswindon,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.

While we know a price change is never welcome, with rising costs and customers using their services more than ever, need to continue investing to improve performance & reliability for everyone. We’re continuing to upgrade and improve our services to give our customers more.

Please could you call into the team on 150 from a Virgin line or 0345 454 1111 from any other line and they will be happy to look into this further for you.

Regards,

Steven_L

AlexanderMTTH
Superfast

You should be able to cancel without termination fee, but call Retention first. You might get a better deal than Talktalk can offer.

Usually Retention's offers are market competitive and design to attract and maintain loyalty in most market conditions ... at leats in theory. 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander

I have not received my price increase yet, but thankfully Cityfibre have planned to install in my street.  Once this is completed I will ditch VM and go with another provider.  Why pay over £60 for 200/20 when I can pay £45-£49 for 900/900.

I've been trying the 0800 number since yesterday. Still can't get through.  Probably take. 30 days just to speak to someone. 

@GMAN73 wrote:

I have not received my price increase yet, but thankfully Cityfibre have planned to install in my street.  Once this is completed I will ditch VM and go with another provider.  Why pay over £60 for 200/20 when I can pay £45-£49 for 900/900.

This is why competition exists! If that's the offer you can get and VM can't or will not be able to match... go for it. Moreso, drop a referral. 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander

@martinianpaul wrote:

I've been trying the 0800 number since yesterday. Still can't get through.  Probably take. 30 days just to speak to someone. 

I noticed WhatsApp seem to work, as I can go about my day and respomnd whne the people get to the case. But I've never tried to cancel stuff like that. 
But once they respond, don't ignore them too long as they seem to be closing the chats. There is a simple selection process and all that and it's free. 

Not sure how it works, but maybe try texting them here: +44 7305 327112. Hope this sorts it out - keep us posted on how you get along. 
I hope you get a great deal or you manage to cancel it. Again, maybe if they can sort it, they might do a call-back? Also, not sure if that's a thing. 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander

I had been thinking about cancelling for a while, as I thought the price of my package at £59 was too much, particularly when I saw new customers being offered the same for £29.99 and the same elsewhere for about that. I wouldn't mind so much but I'm paying for a phone line I never use, and my 100mb broadband rarely reaches much more than half that and regularly drops out. The superhub was also a bit hopeless and I purchased a better router to replace it. Also, I more or less watch freeview channels only. The email with the 7.2% increase was the final straw. The claims of needing the money to meet the increased demand and to improve the service don't ring true to me. I used to get regular speed upgrades about once a year for free, but have been on 100mb for over 5 years now, and with only 2 prople in our house I feel I'm paying extra for people with bigger families. Anyway, I phoned at 2pm yesterday and got through to an agent after 15 minutes. He offered to cut my cost from £59 to £58 for 6 months, which I found quite bizarre since the automated service offered me £4 reduction for 6 months. I said it was too much, as it was going up by £4.25 in March. He told me he would put me through to disconnections, but all that happened was I was put on hold for 5 minutes and then cut off! I phoned straight back, but after being on hold for 20 minutes I gave up. I saw advice on here to use the text service, but that just wasted an hour of my life waiting to "speak" to an agent. An annoying bot kept pestering me every 15 minutes asking the same stupid questions. After an hour I received a reply to say they were busy and suggested I transfer the chat to WhatsApp as I wouldn't need to keep checking. I agreed to that at 4pm. Annoyingly when the chat transferred to WhatsApp I was asked all of my security questions and to outline what I was contacting them for again. At 5.10 I finally connected to an agent, Francis, and thought I was going to be helped. However, all they did was take a few minutes reading the notes and promised to put me through to disconnections. At 5.17 I got a message from Customer Relations messaging outlining their opening hours and said a member of their dedicated team would reply asap. Nobody bothered to reply and the service closed at 9pm. The service is supposed to start at 8 this morning. I messaged them again asking if anybody reads these messages and replies. I have received no answer. I must say it seems like Virginmedia only care about getting new customers or getting current customers to take on new services. In November and December Virgin sales teams were phoning me 3 or 4 times a day on my mobile trying to sell me stuff. But when I try to cancel services or get a better price they make it impossible by just ignoring you.

Hi @martinianpaul,

We have a great range of offers available to existing customers. If you would like to look at what we can do for you, please contact us and a member of our team will be able to make sure we get you everything you need.

You can find and access all of our available contact options, including live chat, here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!