cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel direct debit to cancel account

rossonomous
On our wavelength

It's impossible to cancel services with Virgin Media by calling them, that's been made quite clear.

Can a contract be cancelled by cancelling the direct debit? I'm out of contract and on a 30-day rolling so I see this as my only possible choice now. 

Can anyone advise on this?

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

No, a contract is not cancelled by cancelling the direct debit.  if you do, you'll run into a world of unexpected pain (and extra cost) for you, for VM it's all part of their "processes", so nobody will care, and your credit history will have a big brown stain for defaulting on a credit agreement, and it'll stay visible for the next six years.

If you want to cancel, do it by (recorded) post.

Thanks, expected as much. I've also read of numerous people having issues of cancelling by post because it 'never arrives' with the virgin team. A wholly awful company to deal with as soon as you need to use customer services.

That's why I recommend recorded post. Hopefully it will get properly cancelled on the requested end date.  Remember that you should get a returns pack to send VM's equipment back (again get proof of despatch), and leave the DD in place until all is finalised.

If there's any problem, you have proof of delivery of your notice and despatch of the returns, and VM don't have a leg to stand on.  If they do manage to mess it up you'd follow up with a formal complaint demanding compensation for any failures and hassle, escalating to the arbitration scheme CISAS if VM don't settle the complaint to your complete satisfaction.  And should they mess up, continue to pay all demanded amounts and dispute them afterwards, because (again) if you don't pay they'll mark your credit history.

Thanks for the insight. I'll put a letter in the post today as you've advised and will keep photos, time stamps, everything. 

I vowed once before to never use Virgin again after numerous issues, but the speed enticed me in. Will not be making the same mistake again now I live in an area with a variety of options. I put Virgin up there are my #1 worst company to ever have dealt with.