cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you have Broadband & phone without TV?

raptornet
On our wavelength

I rang VM up today, as I realised about 3 months ago that we're simply not using the Tivo box, it's been turned off for months. I was hoping I could tailor my package and get rid of the TV part, the woman I spoke to at VM was helpful, increased our broadband speed and gave me free weekday calls for the landline, but didn't offer to remove the TV part from the package. So I'm still paying the same amount, the package it a little better, but I'm still stuck with the TV part which I'm not using. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM's pricing is based on taking bundles of services for a minimum term (18 months generally). The bundle attracts a discount for the minimum term, after which the bundle reverts to standard price.

VM's hope is that customers will like the additional services and keep them and/or the customer will fail to renegotiate at the end of the 18 months and then lapse onto a much higher standard price which includes the unused services.

All of VM's agents are encouraged to upsell. Trying to downgrade is likely to be met with the response you have experienced.

If you have made a change to your package, you have a 14 day cooling off period in which you can change your mind, in which case you should revert back to the package/price you were on previously.

What are the services and speed that you do want? Broadband 50 Mbps and phone? Depending on your area, many suppliers should be able to offer this.

You may only get an acceptable price for less services once you have put in a cancellation notice to VM. You might get a call back from VM retentions but it is not guaranteed to happen and it is advised to have marketing options turned on in My Virgin Media to allow the call to happen.

Have a read of the helpful advice from Andrew-G in this past forum post on the business of renegotiating

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Why-oh-why-does-loyalty-get-punishe...

It's all a game of bluff and brinksmanship with VM to carve out an individual package/price for each individual customer.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good afternoon @raptornet 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Short answer to the question is, no you don't have to have the TV.

Depending on the discounts available though, you may actually get more discount for keeping the bundle overall, than you would for removing things from the plan.

I hope that explains it but do let me know if you need further assistance.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

raptornet
On our wavelength

Hi

It does help, but it also raises more questions than answers.

Firstly I called up to speak to someone about removing items from my package. During the call I stated I wished to remove the TV package twice, The agent didn't offer to remove it or offer the information you have done just now. Instead her recourse was to simply upgrade the existing package, without additional cost.

You said it "may" give me more discount, but it may also be adding an unnecessary charge on my account for a service that isn't being used. I could be getting broadband and phone only and saving myself money. I'm now a little confused and annoyed that even though I can have broadband and landline without TV, the agent ignored my wishes and didn't choose to explore that avenue.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can appreciate the frustration caused,

Just to clarify with it being removed you may find that the overall cost would be more as less discounts would be present when it is removed.

Regards,

Kain

raptornet
On our wavelength

Well that makes no sense at all

I was paying £70 for phoneline (weekend free calls), 50mb broadband and basic TV. I wasn't receiving any discounts.

Are you suggesting that without the TV, that it would cost more than £70? I'm not great with maths, but I'm pretty sure when you make a subtraction, you are actually taking away. Unless your talking about the discounts just given to me, which wasn't what I wanted. I wanted part of the package removed and you haven't done this.

Also I've just looked online, according to moneysupermarket a 54mb + phone line package is £28 a month. Why was this not offered to me? I realise the price quoted is for new customers, but honestly, as an existing customer, this is literally the package I was asking for and your agent didn't offer it me?
Heck the 1gb fibre + phone line is £64! So no I'm not saving anything am I. I'd like this matter dealing with as I'm really not happy.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM's pricing is based on taking bundles of services for a minimum term (18 months generally). The bundle attracts a discount for the minimum term, after which the bundle reverts to standard price.

VM's hope is that customers will like the additional services and keep them and/or the customer will fail to renegotiate at the end of the 18 months and then lapse onto a much higher standard price which includes the unused services.

All of VM's agents are encouraged to upsell. Trying to downgrade is likely to be met with the response you have experienced.

If you have made a change to your package, you have a 14 day cooling off period in which you can change your mind, in which case you should revert back to the package/price you were on previously.

What are the services and speed that you do want? Broadband 50 Mbps and phone? Depending on your area, many suppliers should be able to offer this.

You may only get an acceptable price for less services once you have put in a cancellation notice to VM. You might get a call back from VM retentions but it is not guaranteed to happen and it is advised to have marketing options turned on in My Virgin Media to allow the call to happen.

Have a read of the helpful advice from Andrew-G in this past forum post on the business of renegotiating

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Why-oh-why-does-loyalty-get-punishe...

It's all a game of bluff and brinksmanship with VM to carve out an individual package/price for each individual customer.

raptornet
On our wavelength

I simply wanted to be on the 50mb connection + home land line but without the TV and save some money. 

Alternatively if VM had offered, I would have been open to continuing to pay what I am now, but have the package reflect my needs, e.g a faster broadband connection + phone package that had free weekday calls.

I'm disabled and suffer with my mental health, so playing games over the phone isn't something I wish to entertain. After my father went in to care, I had to take over paying the bills, including VM. The experience I had dealing with their technical support, just after my mother had died, frankly made me mentally ill and physically ill. To the point I contacted offcom, regarding the treatment I received. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Ahh okay, 

Sincere apologies as the prior explanation from myself would be solely if discounts were added to the package.

Regards,

Kain

raptornet
On our wavelength

So how do I go about having this matter dealt with? From the sounds of it, VM have basically not listened to me and put me on something I didn't want. 

Kain are you able to help me please?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

We don't deal with package negotiations on here I'm afraid, apologies for that.

However just so we can check I've dropped you a PM, the message will appear within the envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain