Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can't contact Virgin Media

I have tried repeatedly, over several weeks, to contact Virgin Media about my broadband at one of my rentals but it’s proving impossible. I needed to upgrade the package, get a new router etc. Originally I tried to do this online but couldn’t access my account because it’s been so long, about 7 years, since I set this up and I’ve forgotten my password. When I click on "Forgotten your password?" it wants the answer to the security question "Enter a memorable place". I can’t remember what answer I put in 7 years ago. When I clicked on "Forgot the answer to your security question?" it wants the account number. When I put the account number in it asks for the date of the last bill. I never get bills, either in the post or by e-mail.

I can't email them as they want my password. I tried the 0345 454 1111 phone number but the only way to get through on this number is to know my password! All I want to do is speak to a human being and explain what is happening.

Meanwhile, since the broadband was non-existent and my student tenants were getting very frustrated as they needed to study and take tutorials online, I have had broadband installed by another provider. I am unable to contact Virgin to cancel my contract. I can’t even find an address to write to them to cancel. I want to cancel my direct debit but I know I shouldn’t so this until they’ve been given 30 days’ notice.

A friend suggested today that I join the Community, post my problem and maybe, just maybe, one of the Virgin team will come across it. I hope so as I’m at my wits end.

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't contact Virgin Media

Hi Bexhillteddy,

You should be able to determine the account number by looking at your bank statement.

My bank statement shows a 12 digit number for my VM account, however if I ignore the last three numbers showing there, then it has my correct account number.

I realise this may be more difficult for you if you have a number of other properties that VM supply.

The call should still be picked up by an agent if you don't enter any password details. The agent though should be able to bring up the account by the address and send you a password reminder through the post. They should also be able to ask other identifying questions such as the amount paid, your bank and sort code etc.

You can write to them to cancel as per the terms and conditions. If writing send it by registered post.

Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG;

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. As you will see from my message, I do actually know my account number. I find phoning impossible so I will write to them at the address you've given me. If only Virgin Media had a more 'open' way of sending emails to them that didn't involve so much security, that would so much easier than having to post a letter!

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bexhillteddy,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry you've had some difficulty contacting us, sadly package changes aren't something we're able to help with via the forums.

As well as calling on 150/ 0345 454 1111 you can also text us on +44753 305 1809

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex from the Virgin Forum team

If you had read my initial post you would realise that my issue is no longer about updating packages but about cancelling my contract. To reiterate:

"I have tried repeatedly, over several weeks, to contact Virgin Media about my broadband at one of my rentals but it’s proving impossible. I needed to upgrade the package, get a new router etc. Originally I tried to do this online but couldn’t access my account because it’s been so long, about 7 years, since I set this up and I’ve forgotten my password. When I click on "Forgotten your password?" it wants the answer to the security question "Enter a memorable place". I can’t remember what answer I put in 7 years ago. When I clicked on "Forgot the answer to your security question?" it wants the account number. When I put the account number in it asks for the date of the last bill. I never get bills, either in the post or by e-mail.

I can't email them as they want my password. I tried the 0345 454 1111 phone number but the only way to get through on this number is to know my password! All I want to do is speak to a human being and explain what is happening.

Meanwhile, since the broadband was non-existent and my student tenants were getting very frustrated as they needed to study and take tutorials online, I have had broadband installed by another provider. I am unable to contact Virgin to cancel my contract. I can’t even find an address to write to them to cancel. I want to cancel my direct debit but I know I shouldn’t so this until they’ve been given 30 days’ notice.

A friend suggested today that I join the Community, post my problem and maybe, just maybe, one of the Virgin team will come across it. I hope so as I’m at my wits end."

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bexhillteddy,

We can certainly appreciate your frustration with this. From what you have advised it looks as though you haven't been able to try the text service yet.

Have you been able to try this?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin

Yes, I have tried the text service and all it does is send me a link which I can't access as I don't have a smart phone. I sent a letter yesterday by registered post giving the 30 day cancellation notice on my contract.

Lionel

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What I would advise is putting on the chat service that you 'Wish to speak with an Agent'. This should help with getting you to an agent. 

^Martin

0 Kudos