Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Can’t be right.......

Noticed my virgin media bill went up from £118 to £131 on my latest bill (vip pack with sky sports / movies and 2nd v6). Phoned up as we are at the end of the contract and was quoted £126. 
ehh is that the best they can do?  Been with them since Tele west days. Not happy at all. Any advice on how to reduce or is it sky here I come as a new customer?

seems loyalty is worth nowt these days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t be right.......

Many reports of late that give similar experience.  Long term loyalty is worth zero (like you, been a customer since Telewest days).  You might get a better offer during your notice period, but even with the practice of "outbound retention" VM don't seem to be as enthusiastic as they once were.

I suspect VM's owner (Liberty Global) have looked at the slow but progressive roll out of Openreach FTTP and the imminent public launch of 100, 200, 500 and Gigabit speeds over those FTTP connections in the next few months, and concluded that VM's ability to charge a premium for speed will reduce considerably, and almost proportionate to the FTTP roll out (plus the growth of City Fibre, Hyperoptic, and other challenger gigabit providers).  So, logically, Liberty Global's best plan is to make as much money now as they can through higher prices and minimal discounting.  They know that most customers are loathe to give up high speeds, so most will continue to pay and grumble if the deals are rubbish, and the few that do leave are easily replaced by VM's immense marketing efforts.

And at a corporate level, I'd guess that Liberty Global want to exploit their current speed advantage to ramp net pricing to make VM's profits high in the short term not just because the future looks a bit less easy, but also because they've been trying to sell VM for years (in particular to Vodafone).  If they can gloss the lump through high but potentially unsustainable profits, they will hope some dopey but cash rich company or infrastructure investment fund will come along and pay them top dollar.  

So, yes, it'll be Sky for you.  And they are a company with such s**te customer service that they make VM look good.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t be right.......

Frying pan to the fire. Looks like I’ll dump sky sports and films an go to the pub instead.
Every cloud.....

No wonder folks are getting hooky fire sticks etc....