Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can't afford to pay such a big bill anymore

Hello

I am currently paying £50.95 per month for M100 Fibre Broadband and Talk Weekends phone.

I have been out of work now for some time and I am finding it very difficult to pay that amount of money. I only receive £409 per month on universal credit and that is my only source of income.

I have tried to get through on the phone to speak to someone to see if my bill can be reduced as it seems to be very high compared to what is advertised on the website (£33 per month) but just seem to sit there in the queue forever and then get cut off.

I have tried the message us button from https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/contactus/accounts-and-billing however when I click it it simply takes me back to the VM home page.

I appreciate that the current situation makes it difficult for VM to communicate but I am now very worried that I will not be able to keep paying such a high bill and will end up without any internet or phone which are the only contact I have with the outside world.

I don't know if this message will get to anyone who can help but it seems to be my last hope of any response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't afford to pay such a big bill anymore

Hello

With regards to account issues I am afraid they cannot be dealt with in the forum.

Due to the current situation there is a text message only service is available via: 07533051809 Just send a text with the issue you are facing and someone will get back to you as soon as they can. Please bear in mind at this time this service does also have a high load and may take quite some time getting back to you.

Regards Mike

If my answer was helpful to you please mark you post as helpful answer and consider leaving kudos.
I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

not sure where you get £33 from. the M100 with talk weekends is £49/month

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply, I will try that.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply, I got it from the VM website. It said £33 per month for the same bundle that I have.

It was on this page:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/deals
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That price is for new customers only. You’ve had your new customer deal so the price underneath (£49) is the standard price.

As you are slightly higher it would suggest you haven’t rang up to negotiate your price in a while. That’s where you’ve gone wrong. You need to call up and negotiate a new deal, you won’t get £33 for the same package but you should be able to get something knocked off. Alternative try texting the number above and waiting for someone to get back to you.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

I though that I would be eligible for the £33 price as I am out of contract so assumed I would be treated as a new customer when taking a new contract out.

It would appear that I was mistaken about this, thank you for pointing that out.

I was also being confused I think by the new Ofcom regulations:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/fairer-prices-for-broadband-cu...

I have misinterpreted this as saying that I would get a fair deal and be offered this automatically as I am out of contract and on low income with some medical issues that make some things difficult for me. I think I have also misunderstood this as well.

Hopefully VM will help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

you will not be a new customer. you need tp leave for 3 months get the new customer discount

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Tried the text number, initially it seemed good I received a quick response.

Unfortunately the first person could not help but did pass me over to a new department who said they would have a look.

That was on the 13th of May, today is 19th I haven't heard anything from them via text for 6 days. I don't know if that means the conversation is done or they are still looking at it.

I appreciate that times are difficult, I would have that that VM would have some method of letting you know if it was still an on going conversation, even if it was an automated text every couple of days. I have sent a text in the conversation asking if it is still on going still no response.

It is a good idea in principle, not sure the text method conversation is working that well in practise or maybe VM have had enough of me as a loyal customer and want me to leave so they can try to entice me back and bump up the new customer numbers!

Is it really cheaper for VM to attract new customers than it is to retain their current ones?

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi LCK, 

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch.

I am sorry you're having some problems reaching our team. 

When was the last time you dropped us a text? If you haven't been in touch recently I would ask you to try again as I know earlier today the wait times were around 4 hours. 

If you still have no luck after trying again let us know and we will be happy to see what can be done. 

Thanks, 

Hetty

Hetty_R
0 Kudos