Menu
Rach5
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can’t afford bill this month

hey, my direct debit is due out on 26th I’ve been with virgin and never missed a payment in 3 years but really struggling, tried to change direct debit date but can’t do that as they’ve already calculated my bill 😢 Help! Any advise I would really appreciate 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t afford bill this month

@Rach5 Sorry to hear about your struggle. Might be better to speak to your bank and see if they can offer a temporary overdraft to cover the VM payment this month and maybe get the Direct Debit moved for next month.

Some advice on the MSE site here:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/uk-coronavirus-help-and-your-rights/#overdrafts

If you want to try and get help from VM I'd recommend calling them about this as it is unlikely to be something the forum team can help with and they will take a few days to respond here.

You can call 150 from a VM landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.

If you can't get through on the phone then VM are recommending you send a text to 07533 051809 describing the issue and you should get a response. This is a text only service, it does not support voice calls.  
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425... 

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mejinks
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rach5

Really sorry to hear that.  There is nothing much you can do other than call the customer support team and try and get the direct debit reversed.  I hope your situation improves shortly.  In the meantime, it might benefit you to lookup a group called bailif debts and bills or CA3 debt free me.  They usually have some great advice.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rach5,

Sorry to see things are a little tight at the moment. You might be too late to stop the payment going through, however you should be able to do an indemnity claim through the bank.

If you can then you should leave the payment go through as normal as you cannot change the date if their is an outstanding balance.

Once it's all been processed you should be able to change the direct debit date, but doing so will also change the start date of your monthly package. This means the first bill you receive after moving your Direct Debit date may be higher than usual as VM will need to align you to your new billing cycles. Your subsequent bills will return to their normal amount after this.

If you do have issues with making payments then you could also speak to the Collections Team virgin-media-missed-payment 

You can contact the  Collections team on 0800 052 0360 from any phone. They are open Monday to Saturday, 8am until 6pm, except for Bank Holidays where they are open from 8am ‘til 5pm( although I shouldn't think that will include Christmas/New Year. They are closed on Sundays.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks