cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain this 'credit limit' thing?

ullrichburke
Tuning in
Spoiler

Dear Anyone.

I pay by Direct Debit.  My bill usually turns up 2 weeks in advance of the pay-by date - one of the things I like about Virgin, that, gives you time to save up to pay! So I pay, and get a little bot phoning me 'You have reached your Credit Limit of £50. You now owe £51!' 

When I got it, I thought it was a trick because I knew I'd paid by Direct Debit.  So I phoned Virgin and they told me it wasn't - I really did owe another chunk of money.  They took it off my bank card.

But I don't understand. Why wasn't the £50 either added onto the bill I'd just paid, or put on the next month's bill AS I'd just paid the previous one? Why was it there to bite you when you felt smug because you knew you'd paid everything?

Can someone explain what 'credit limit' is all about in this case, and why the money's not just added onto your home phone account?

Yours puzzledly

Chris.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey ullrichburke,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry that you have had issues with your credit limit, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey ullrichburke,

I’m sorry that you have had issues with your credit limit, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Dear Steven. 

Sorry my website skills suck, can't see anything saying 'Private Messages' so I'll answer here.

I'm not saying I had 'issues' with mine, the system seems to have worked perfectly in my case.  I just don't understand the NEED for it.  You've paid this month's bill in full and been given a virtual receipt with PAID on it, ticked. so any subsequent monies should logically go onto the NEXT month's bill, no?

Why the need for this extra payment/bill? Totally not seeing it.

Yours puzzledly

Chris

@Steven_L wrote:

Hey ullrichburke,

Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Steven, honestly I don’t see why this has to go to PM. The original poster is just asking for a definition of ‘credit limit’, what is it, what does it mean? They don’t seem to be asking for a breakdown of their particular details, surely don’t you think that a simple, open explanation is in the public\forum members interest?

Of course, if following said explanation the poster wanted further details about their particular case, then, it would be perfectly reasonable to take it to a PM.

Forgive me if I have gotten it wrong, but I can’t help thinking that there does seem to be a bit of a ‘knee jerk’ reaction by members of the forum team to jump to the ‘take this to PM mode’ before actually stopping and thinking about the question being asked. No?

Now, I promise you that I do absolutely understand the constraints that you all work under, targets for posts made, the ‘tone/on message’ of your responses, the copy and paste, ‘approved’ posts - please don’t deny it, the wording and similar phraseology of posts from different forum staff members, is really strong evidence to support it! Incidentally, nobody in the real world ever, ever ‘reaches out’ to anyone, they ‘call’ or ‘get in contact with’, ‘reaching out’ is a term which exists only in the fetid imagination of marketing wonks - something, maybe, to consider!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ullrichburke 

The following page may help

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/what-is-my-virgin-media-credit-limit 

I'm not sure how it works, but I should imagine there will be a facility in place to review the credit limit.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi there @ullrichburke I can see the PM has been sent from our side.

Please check for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

ullrichburke
Tuning in

Dear Reg Pither et al.

Just read the page somebody led me to about credit limit and it seems to be a way to stop you overspending between bills, so your next bill doesn't come as a nasty surprise and you can't pay it.  That seems to be the theory of it.  So when you hit what they consider to be the most you can spend between bills, you have to pay it off regardless of whether the next bill is due or not.

Seems a LEETLE 'Big Brother' to me - I mean surely it's up to you how much you spend on Internet etc? I could understand an intermediary letter along the lines of 'Dear Chris.  You've spent £45 on browsing the Web since the last bill, would you prefer it was added onto your next bill, making that approximately £XXX.XX, or would you like to call our Customer Line to pay it off now?' but they don't seem to do that.  They just give you a sudden phone-call out of the blue demanding money and you're sitting there going 'wth!?!' 

I kinda live online so I've gotten used to the phonecall thing now but it was a shock the first time it happened (and the second!) It's the suddenness.  Gentle warning E-mail rather than an 8a.m. 'GIVVUS FORTY QUID NOW OR WE CUT YOU OFF!' would be appreciated!

Yours respectfully

Chris.

Thanks for the reply, Chris. That kind of makes some sense although not knowing about it in advance seems very strange. Having said that, it's probably tucked away in the terms and conditions we sign up to, so my fault for not reading through it all.

However, I still can't find where the extra charges are on any of the billing pages online, everything I can see says it's free or included in my tariff. My bill has been paid today as scheduled, but I can't find any details of my usage for the last month - they only go as far as 15th March. Any ideas where I should be looking?

Thanks

Hi Chris, 

For a breakdown of your charges and where to find these, our Bill Explainer here may help

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs