cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I just cancel my direct debit?

tedtrippin
Joining in

I've started the cancellation hell.

First attempt, waited for 15 minutes, answered their questions and got transferred to cancellations team and they hung up.

Second attempt, waited 14 minutes went through their questions and was told I would be transferred to cancellations. I just got transferred to another member in retentions. Answered all their questions and got transferred again. Spoke to someone who then put me on hold for 2 minutes then hung up.

So, if VM refuse to let me cancel via phone call can I just cancel my direct debit and wait for them to get in touch?

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The only division of VM that will respond if you cancel your DD is VM's debt collection department. From the many topics that crop up on here about this, that is likely to be an automatic referral of a bad debt to the credit reference agencies and ultimately passed on to debt collectors.

Instead, you can leave your DD in place and write to VM at their Sunderland address here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/cancel-virgin-media

using a signed for service for proof of delivery.

You have to give VM 30 days notice to cancel. During that time they bill you as per normal so the DD needs to remain in place. Shortly after 30 days, and your disconnection, VM produce a final bill. If you are in debit on the final bill, you pay that and you are done. If you are in credit VM send you a cheque for the balance.

jem101
Superstar

The problem is that if you do cancel the direct debit, it won't make them get in touch (or 'reach out' as they like to call it now)! What they will do is add late payment fees to your account, mark defaults on your credit history and finally pass the whole lot off to a firm of debt collectors, and they WILL reach out to you!

Your best bet is to write a letter to the Sunderland office (address will be on the website under 'How to Cancel'), be explicit that you want to cancel on such and such a date (you have to give at least 30 day's notice) no room for any ambiguousness in what you want. Include account number, address and a contact telephone number (and that's so they can call to make you offers to stay). Make a copy of this letter and send it by recorded delivery (signed for).

You might also want to make a complaint about VM's call handling when trying to cancel on the OFCOM website. Now although OFCOM don't get involved individual cases, if they get enough of these complaints, they may stir into life and give VM a nice fine to think about.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @tedtrippin

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear that you have had trouble contacting us in regards to cancelling your account! 

A big thank you to our community members who have already advised on this, and as they have stated we would not recommend cancelling a direct debit as this would not constitute a cancellation but could incur penalties. 

Can I ask why you were wanting to cancel? Are you experiencing any issues with your service we can advise on at all?

Thank you.