Menu
escribblings
Up to speed
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

COMPLAINT - Constant UNSOLICITED marketing calls

Good afternoon.

I'm posting this in addition to hangin made a telephone complaint already, due to the seriousness of this.

My wife suffers from anxiety and hates the phone ringing with calls she's not expecting, and I'm at work most of the time.

As such, we have set our preferences to receive NO marketing.

For the SECOND time in just over 2 weeks we have received an unsolicited marketing call. I'm not at home right now, so I'll update this thread with the dates, times, and number(s) later.

My wife answered only to have someone from an Indian sounding call centre asking for me. 

I rang the number when I got home and got an automated message stating that the marketing team tried to call, don't workw, they will call again, and then hangs up.

Well, we DON'T want them to call again.

When I spoke to your representative on 15/02/19, he informed me that he could see my preferences, but that they "hadn't applied properly".  However, he had fixed it and it should be effective immediately.

So imagine my shock when we received another call yesterday.

The representative I spoke with this afternoon has escalated my complaint this time. He could see my call on 15/02/2019, he also mentioned there was a change to my preferences in August 2018.  I also informed him that checking my profile in "My Virgin Media" shows that I'm set to NOT receive any marketing, and that this was last updated on 06/11/2019.

I'm also registered with the Telephone Preference Service, and will now be raising a complaint through them as well.

I may even be contacting the ombudsman as I don't know where you stand on ignoring my marketing preferences regarding GDPR!20190223_151124.jpg

#################################
# I do *not* work for VM - Just saying. #
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: COMPLAINT - Constant UNSOLICITED marketing calls

Hi escribblings,

I am sorry to hear your frustration with this. It sounds like our agent has escalated the issue for you so this should be resolved for you. If the marketing preferences hadn't been correctly updated and have been recently I do need to make you aware that changes to marketing can take 28 days to take effect as it filters through our marketing databases.

Please let us know what happens in regards to the situation being escalated.

Thanks

Tom_S

VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@escribblings wrote:

Good afternoon.

I'm posting this in addition to hangin made a telephone complaint already, due to the seriousness of this.

My wife suffers from anxiety and hates the phone ringing with calls she's not expecting, and I'm at work most of the time.

As such, we have set our preferences to receive NO marketing.

For the SECOND time in just over 2 weeks we have received an unsolicited marketing call. I'm not at home right now, so I'll update this thread with the dates, times, and number(s) later.

My wife answered only to have someone from an Indian sounding call centre asking for me. 

I rang the number when I got home and got an automated message stating that the marketing team tried to call, don't workw, they will call again, and then hangs up.

Well, we DON'T want them to call again.

When I spoke to your representative on 15/02/19, he informed me that he could see my preferences, but that they "hadn't applied properly".  However, he had fixed it and it should be effective immediately.

So imagine my shock when we received another call yesterday.

The representative I spoke with this afternoon has escalated my complaint this time. He could see my call on 15/02/2019, he also mentioned there was a change to my preferences in August 2018.  I also informed him that checking my profile in "My Virgin Media" shows that I'm set to NOT receive any marketing, and that this was last updated on 06/11/2019.

I'm also registered with the Telephone Preference Service, and will now be raising a complaint through them as well.

I may even be contacting the ombudsman as I don't know where you stand on ignoring my marketing preferences regarding GDPR!20190223_151124.jpg

GDPR has to do with protecting your Data, nothing else.  You cant use it to raise a complaint in regards to this.  The companies they outsource to are legally allowed to see what has been sent to them.

In regards to the TPS and MPS.  You currently take a service from Virgin Media, so they can (if they wish) contact you even when it's in regard to things you don't want.  The TPS and MPS will not help you in regards to these calls.

Personally speaking, I have had times in the past (customer of ~20 years I think) where my details get exported to one of their 3rd party agents to have sales pushed on me.  Other than one provider they used in the past (GA USA I think) most of the times when I have requested to be removed via the marketing call they have done it for me without any issues.

I would suggest also checking the number the call comes from to make sure that it is indeed virgin media.  I have had phishing calls before to my VM line (but ultra-rare).  If your phone is fancy enough, you could also block said number.  

I agree with you that it's annoying, there should be no reason that it takes a database more than a few hours to populate options world-wide.  If they can manage to add you to a marketing list in 30 seconds then they should be able to remove you too.  They aren't legally required to change so don't expect it soon ;( ...

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
escribblings
Up to speed
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for acknowledging this, and yes, the agent SHOULD have escalated it already, however I'm just sending notice I'm not going to let this drop.

As you'll note from my screenshot, well now than 28 days has passed since I last edited any preferences through the website.

Also, it's not my fault of your systems cannot update themselves correctly.

IF it is true that it hasn't gone through properly last time, how do I know it has this time? Will i have to go through this every 28 days?

I also find it unreasonable that it takes 28 days to update your own databases!

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@VMCopperUser wrote:

@escribblings wrote:

GDPR has to do with protecting your Data, nothing else.  You cant use it to raise a complaint in regards to this.  The companies they outsource to are legally allowed to see what has been sent to them.

You can raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) because Virgin Media are continuing to process your data for direct marketing despite not having consent. Hopefully the forum team will resolve this for you but be aware it can take them a few days to work through to your post.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Please consider not marking my previous post as a Helpful Answer until the issue is resolved because forum users see the thread as Answered now; to do this select Option ˅ and then Not a Helpful Answer

escribblings
Up to speed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Apologies, an using my phone and meant t got the like button.

VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

This is not something the ICO would action.  The ICO tends to look at things that happen in large volumes and then take action.  While VM is breaking the rules by contacting even existing customers on the TPS (Who have also opted out!), the process you go through with both the ICO and the TPS would see you having to re-submit the complaint several times as they will generally ignore existing customers of large companies who make this type of complaint.

See Here for a little more info.

If you really want to make a complaint then do it here.

The GDPR is going to be a no-go..  If VM was trying to sell you something that's not part of their normal packages (or perhaps, not a package you have even?) then the GDPR might help.  If they had a "partner" that was selling products and contacted you using personal data then that would be something GDPR would help with.  GDPR is nothing more than "data protection".  It doesn't allow for it to be moved or processed without it following a strict set of conditions.  I believe Article 6(1)(f) would allow VM to contact existing customers to change packages (in a sales format).  But again, the ICO says it's not legal IF the customers have opted out.  So VM is not breaking the GDPR, but they are breaking the ICO rules.

I honestly think that VM will sort the issue out for you, the 28 days should be a "max" thing anyhow.  If you really want to try to push the situation then go through the "thinking of leaving us" part and make a complaint there.  I have faith that Virgin (nor most other large companies who value their brand) want to upset customers.  Let it roll for a few days and see if that helps.  If your wife struggles quite a lot with phone calls day to day then there are products out there that can filter incoming calls, It might be seriously worth considering.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
escribblings
Up to speed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

With regards to knowing whether it's a VM number or not, the automated message kind of gives it away!

"Hello it's the sales team at Virgin media here. Just so you know we tried calling you today. Don't worry, you don't need to get in touch with us. Well try again another time."

Also, having Googled the number, it has come up as VM.

The number in question is 0800 183 6403

I've been through my call log, I don't think my wife was in when all these calls were made, otherwise she'd be going ballistic right now.

12/02/2019 11:04

14/02/2019 13:43

14/02/2019 15:42

15/02/2019 17:55

21/02/2019 15:02

22/02/2019 10:35

22/02/2019 15:22

Wouldn't you say that's excessive!?

Especially considering these preferences were supposed to have been set in August last year, confirmed/edited through my VM in November last year

michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The telephone preference service does work, but generally only for UK based tele-maketers.

Changing your preferences on your mobile or landline account do also work.

You can also ask the person on the other end of the phone to remove your number from their database, this is very effective.

There are many free call blocker apps available to plug the gap until your requests are dealt with.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos