Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bill has leapt up. Do I have to have telephone?

My bill has leapt up from £30 to £50pcm.  I'm not even there, as I am in lockdown elsewhere and can't travel back to my home :-(.

It's probably due to the end of a "loyalty" offer.

I've tried multiple times to contact VM via phone and chat but can't get through.  I expect they're as stretched as everyone else at present so understandable if frustrating.

Given the impossibility of getting in touch, all I can think if is to cancel my DD.   Does that leave me in any kind of breach, and would there be a charge to reconnect once I get back home?

Just looking for advice and experiences please.   Also, I don't need the VM phone line but don't seem to be able to cancel that on line - that would save some dosh wouldn't it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bill has leapt up. Do I have to have telephone?

Due to the current situation there is a text message only service is available via: 07533051809 Just send a text with the issue you are facing and someone will get back to you as soon as they can.

do not cancel your DD

that will not cancel the contract it will just create a debt that will go on your credit file as a non payment and be passed to a collection agency 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll try it.   But if I don't hear I'll cancel the DD.   Being unable to contact the company helping itself to my money, no matter what the difficult circs, would be a pretty effective defence in court if ever it came to that, I reckon.   I don't see Virgin Media - and irrespective of whether alleged debts are re-assigned to debt collectors, it's the original creditor who has to issue court proceedings - taking many people to court when they were unable to field calls.

But, as I say, I'll try your suggestion, and many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

it won't. it will just damage your credit rating

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Due to the current situation there is a text message only service is available via: 07533051809 Just send a text with the issue you are facing and someone will get back to you as soon as they can.

Hi, just to provide an update on my experience on this, as I've now tried it four or five times:

It isn't as simple as just sending a text and getting called back.  What happens is pretty much identical to the live chat: you get to a certain point where you're supposedly "connected to the team" ...... and then nothing further happens!

It seems impossible to get through, as there aren't any, or enough, agents available.   However, happily for Virgin Media, the team collecting the direct debits still seem capable of doing that without fail.

Obviously you have to sympathise given the constraints of COVID, but this really is an awful state of affairs.

Thanks

N

0 Kudos