cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to transfer to another provider to ensure continuity

Yozzer
Dialled in

After over 20 years with NTL and then Virgin, I have, after relevant discussions with people at Virgin, decided to move on. What cost me £58 last year, after the hard negotiated discount of £7, it will still cost me £74 now, and another guaranteed rise in April.

I have done a lot of research, and decided on a package with another provider, (at a lot less cost), but my  current contract ends on the 23rd of this month, and it is going to take at least 2, possibly 3 weeks to convert over. What is the best way to do this, without incurring a break in service, and avoiding any last minute offers which, after all the discussion to date, would be very frustrating now I am leaving. (I have given Virgin my intent to leave, but not actually cancelled).

I ask this because I have not needed to do this before, having been on the same fibre broadband since it was first in the area.

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Do you mean your minimum term ends on 23 Sept? Your contract with VM continues indefinitely until you give VM 30 days notice to cancel your services.

Usual advice on here (if it is feasible/affordable to do so) is to try to overlap your two services for a time (getting the new one up and running while you still have a working VM connection). Your new supplier may not be immune from installation delays.

If that happened you could still fall back to a working VM connection. Overlapping the connection also means that you can try out the new provider and make sure it works as you want it to in your 14 day cooling off period. If anything goes wrong with the new supplier once it is installed, again you can fall back to VM.

If you simply want to cancel VM, with no further communication or discussion, then writing in by letter seems to be a method with some reliability as reported on here. Details are below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/cancel-virgin-media

Use a signed for delivery service to give your 30 days notice. This gives you a proof of delivery date/time and makes it hard for VM to try to dodge the cancellation.

Many thanks for your answer, I will post the letter tomorrow as you suggest. I really had no idea how it worked, and having read of some people having apparently excessive charges for going on for too long after a contract end, coupled to the lack of flexibility in my attempts to negotiate a deal, I was panicking a bit. I am getting on a bit now at 82, and the world has changed a lot in recent years, and what seems to happen these days is often worse than I expected. Your advice is good, and the 23rd is the date of the contract date end, so it will end 30 days from tomorrow, which will be fine for me.

It would have been useful if somebody had mentioned that to me in my online chat, or when I eventually made contact on 150.

It has been a very long time, but cost and service matter a lot to my wife an I, and I suspect there is a degree of complacency with regards to dealing with long standing loyal customers, but thanks again for your helpful response. 

Hi @Yozzer thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear you're leaving us.  As you need to give 30 days' notice, I would like to take a look at things on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee, thanks for your reply. I have responded I think to your PM I think, thanks for your interest.

Thanks for getting back to me @Yozzer 

I've received your PM and have responded appropriately.  Hope to hear from you soon 🙂

Regards

Lee

I have left you a PM this morning Lee with the info you asked for. Hope you can help.

Yozzer
Dialled in

Hi Lee, I have just sent you another PM. But I have just had a thought. As VM have issued me a new contract I did not ask for, but may have been somehow generated by the system, do I need to send them another letter cancelling that as well ? or will common sense prevail, and the cancellation by phone, plus the written cancellation they have received today be enough?

Hi @Yozzer 

I will respond to your private message.

Regards

Lee_R