Menu
DCFC79
Dialled in
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Best way to keep landline number but also sign up as a new customer

I posted back in July about transferring the account into a parents name but also making sure she gets the best deal, the transferring of the account isn't an issue as such as Ive done that before, its making sure she pays less than what I do now (its about £70 a month), is this possible to do ?

Would she be classed as a new customer to get a better deal but also keep the landline number ?

Previous question is here

Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best way to keep landline number but also sign up as a new customer

To take a new customer deal it needs to be a new customer so you would need to cancel your contract and then your parents would need to join in their name.

keeping the number is something that can be done but it’s a little more tricky 

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

if you cancel your account the number can;t be ported. so you risk losing it.

Why not look at something like voip provider like www.sipgate.co.uk to port your number to and not have to pay line rental and be able to use the number anywhere with a internet conenction
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

It doesn’t sound like the customer wishes to port their number to or from another provider so it should be fine.

Happy to help if you would like some support in making this happen.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@VM-Jon can you confirm that if an account has been cancelled that the number can still be moved?
Also how long after the number is cancelled can it be moved?

I know by ofcoms porting rules that cancelling the account or requesting it be cancelled would stop any port.

DCFC79
Dialled in
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks yes I understand if I cancel the contract I risk losing the number but the idea of signing up for sipgate as you suggest sounds like it could work.

I'm out of contract so costs should be minimal.

0 Kudos
DCFC79
Dialled in
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Jon.

So what is the best way to achieve what I'm wanting inc keeping the number ?

Am I better off porting the number out which would cancel the service and then have the parent sign up for a new account ?

How long after leaving VM could the parent sign up as a new customer ?

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
DCFC79
Dialled in
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

If porting the number the only way for it to work then that is what I'll do.

Unless there's another way Jon ?

You say keeping the number can be done but its a little tricky, what would it involve ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hey there DCFC79,

If it's a transfer from one Virgin Media account to another, the complexity depends on whether the number in question is a Virgin Media owned number or  not. You can use this site for example to check the owner. If it's a Virgin Media one, we can restrict it for a short period so it's not given out to another customer and then we'd add it onto the new account.

But if it's not a Virgin Media owned number, we can still do it but will need to make sure the number doesn't cease back to the range owner. In this case, once the old account (yours) has been disconnected, you'll need to let us know by posting on here so we can make sure the number stays with us for the migration.

To confirm, you wouldn't need to port the number out. The main thing is that the old account must be disconnected first completely so the number can be added onto the new account once it's been activated.

Thanks,

Lisa

DCFC79
Dialled in
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa

Yes the number is a Virgin number as in I have the 3 services so phone, TV and Broadband, I want to move all 3 over to the other resident/parent left in the property.

If porting out isn't needed then that's good, be easier to not port it out.

If this will mean my mum can sign up as a new customer to take care of new customer deals then maybe its what I need to get started.

Is this something that I need to contact the relevant team about so I start the process ?

Do they have a direct number I would need to ring ?

Thanks Lisa

0 Kudos