Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Being charged double and complaint not yet picked up after over a month!

Back in early July, I had an issue where I came home to no network.

Phoning up Virgin I was met by a clueless rep who told me I was being upgraded. No information of said upgrade was previously provided to me in any form of notification on my account, email, phone or even letter.

I was on call that night and needed a network which was annoying because I didn't have any! as a result of this lost a full nights on-call wage which was just shy of £500 as I had to hand it off to someone else!

I was informed that it would be back up the following day just after mid-day and there was nothing that could be done as the "upgrade" had already been started. reluctantly I hung up the phone as I was getting nowhere with this representative... 

fast forward to coming home the day after and guess what. no network still... after a 45-minute wait listening to the same repetitive music I finally got through to someone, explained to them my issue, that I was still without network, they put me on hold and after a couple of minutes hung up the phone.... nice!

another half hour wait listening to the same music I finally got through to someone who listened to my issue and did some digging.

the issue was that back in March I filed to have the name changed on the account as me and my ex-partner had split up and I was taking over the account.

this was filed in March and in July they finally decided to action it without telling me, but instead of just updating the name on the account they closed my active account and made me a new one, they then failed to process the new account that they were making (last job before home time on a Friday by any chance!) I had to tell them to activate me over the phone - if I didn't it would have gone unprocessed!

because of the decision to make me a whole new account was made rather than update my details, I am now having to pay £127 (double) in the next few days, now because couldn't do my on-call job and this expense came at me from nowhere I cannot afford to pay this! 

I have filed a complaint which has not been picked up in over a month 

The service received has been shocking, If I pay this bill on the 18th it will put me in debt because this was not accounted for as I was not expecting to have my account re-created and then charged double for the privilege of being without network for 2 days whilst you did it unbeknown to me...

I gotta say BT has some interesting offers on the table that are really tempting - I bet they don't screw over their existing customers either...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Being charged double and complaint not yet picked up after over a month!

BT are just as bad.
Also you can't use the "i lost money as i couldn't work" argument on a residential service. You'll need a Business package with an SLA for that

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The argument is that they didnt inform me of the outage and they cut my service without any warning which resulted in me losing money, I wouldnt have picked up the job if I knew changes were going to be made, and on top of that because they hadnt done what I asked and just changed the details (yeah I expected a small admin fee) I'm now being slapped with a new customer fee of having to pay 2 months in advance when I have been a customer for over 2 years... every service provider will have their downfalls that make them "just as bad" but not many will charge an existing customer double their plan fees and then ignore complaints raised when its highlighted that they made a mistake...

They then have the nerve to post on the payments page saying I will be charged a late fee on top of this if I dont do it in a few days when it's not an expense I had accounted for as I was not informed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi JDesai92, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry for the problems you've experienced with the service. We would usually notify anybody who may be impacted by scheduled work/maintenance - unfortunately if something urgent crops up at short notice this regrettably isn't always possible.

We do appreciate the inconvenience & frustration this may cause, rest assured credits will be applied automatically to cover loss of service based on these guidelines: https://virginmedia.com/Ofcom.

Unfortunately we don't cover additional losses incurred due to issues with our residential service - apologies for any disappointment this may cause.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@JDesai92 wrote:

Back in early July, I had an issue where I came home to no network.

Phoning up Virgin I was met by a clueless rep who told me I was being upgraded. No information of said upgrade was previously provided to me in any form of notification on my account, email, phone or even letter.

I was on call that night and needed a network which was annoying because I didn't have any! as a result of this lost a full nights on-call wage which was just shy of £500 as I had to hand it off to someone else!

I was informed that it would be back up the following day just after mid-day and there was nothing that could be done as the "upgrade" had already been started. reluctantly I hung up the phone as I was getting nowhere with this representative... 

fast forward to coming home the day after and guess what. no network still... after a 45-minute wait listening to the same repetitive music I finally got through to someone, explained to them my issue, that I was still without network, they put me on hold and after a couple of minutes hung up the phone.... nice!

another half hour wait listening to the same music I finally got through to someone who listened to my issue and did some digging.

the issue was that back in March I filed to have the name changed on the account as me and my ex-partner had split up and I was taking over the account.

this was filed in March and in July they finally decided to action it without telling me, but instead of just updating the name on the account they closed my active account and made me a new one, they then failed to process the new account that they were making (last job before home time on a Friday by any chance!) I had to tell them to activate me over the phone - if I didn't it would have gone unprocessed!

because of the decision to make me a whole new account was made rather than update my details, I am now having to pay £127 (double) in the next few days, now because couldn't do my on-call job and this expense came at me from nowhere I cannot afford to pay this! 

I have filed a complaint which has not been picked up in over a month 

The service received has been shocking, If I pay this bill on the 18th it will put me in debt because this was not accounted for as I was not expecting to have my account re-created and then charged double for the privilege of being without network for 2 days whilst you did it unbeknown to me...

I gotta say BT has some interesting offers on the table that are really tempting - I bet they don't screw over their existing customers either...

As your a new customer there should be a "contract" that explained you would be charged double.  Was this not explained?  It does seem a bit mean that if your credit score is not great that they are going to charge you an advance, even though it's the same service at the same address, but sadly a lot of things work that way.  VM are considering you a "new" customer and not an existing one.

Just to throw this out there however.  If you can earn £500 for a on-call session, then it might be worth opting to buy a unlimited data package through one of the mobile providers for when your home broadband does go down.  

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos