cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged an early disconnection fee - despite cancelling 1 day after being notified.

Sam50
Joining in

My May bill was issue on 03 May 2023. In included a price increase from £32 to £39. I phoned to cancel the remaining 5/6 months of the contract but was told there would be an EDF of c. £190.

Apparently I was supposed to tell them I wanted to cancel by 04 April 2023 and I should've received a letter or email to inform me of the price increase. I don't receive letters from Virgin and have searched my emails (including junk) but can't find anything. As far as I can tell, the first time I was notified was 1 day before I tried to cancel. 

I told the representative that I want to disconnect but not with an EDF. The EDF is essentially the same price as the connection so I may as well just have let it expire at that price. But the point is there shouldn't be a charge as I think I'm legally entitled to cancel due to the price increase.

This has left a really sour taste in my mouth. I've been a Virgin customer at this property for 5 years and much longer in other places. I used to be able to phone them and have a sensible conversation, but the guy I spoke to yesterday just wouldn't listen.

Not sure what my best course of action is here. Or do I just pay the fee and never return?

3 REPLIES 3

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Sam50 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums it's great to have you here.

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue regarding your recent price rise and your deal. I understand how frustrating this must have been.

Can I just confirm, have you received any written letters at all from us recently? If so can you check that these were not to alert you of the price rise?

Thank you again

I don't think I have received a written letter from Virgin ever. Perhaps when I set the account up, but I certainly haven't received anything this year.

Thanks,

Sam

Thank you for popping back to us @Sam50 and I'm sorry this was not sent via letter to you either. 

I'll be happy to take a closer look into this with you via a Private Message. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.