Menu
cheesebanana
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Been trying to upgrade to gig1 for over 2 weeks now.

If I do a postcode check on a fresh browser, Gig1 is available at my address. Woo! I can even start the process to sign up, and it gives me all the costs for that as a BB only service. Excellent! Time to log in to my VM account and get that started.

Except...in my VM account, the highest I can go, no matter what type of package I select, is M200, which i'm already on. It shows me as being maxed out. So front page, Gig1, My account, M200? What gives?

So on 13/07 I tweet VM, asking them what's up. They respond on 17/07, telling me to text their "automated service" on a regular 07 number. I say that's kinda sketchy, can I DM instead, they say they can't do that, just text, it's fine. So I do.

No reply for a few hours, so I tweet back, they tell me the team is busier than normal (so its not automated?), but they'll get to me when they can.

Tonight, I got bored of waiting for the text service that clearly doesn't work, and despite REALLY not wanting to bother a call centre worker with this during the pandemic, I tried to call. The best option I could get was to add/remove a package. The only option after that was for them to...send me a text. So I pressed 1, and they said "Great, we've sent you a text, just reply!"

Except unsurprisingly, there is no text to be seen.

I really don't want to be a whining customer, especially not at this time...but I'm trying to spend more money, and presumably, renew my contract. I'd assume even at the worst of times, there's always a team available that's willing to take more money. How on earth do I get through to them?

I really don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of pretending i'm an angry customer that wants to leave, and getting through to the retentions department who will work out what i'm doing within 30 seconds because that's all they deal with all day. 

Thanks for anybody with advice.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Been trying to upgrade to gig1 for over 2 weeks now.

I would seriously suggest you do a long trawl through these forums for all issues relating to the Hub 4 and Gig 1 service before being quite so keen to part with your money, and perhaps ask WHY you want a 1 Gbps connection, and why you're not content with whatever you currently have?  There's been some serious performance issues, and some serious teething problems.  And when things go wrong, knowledge is scant across both VM and the forum as to how to resolve the issues.For some people it is working perfectly well, but for myself, I can honestly say I wouldn't risk the 1 Gbps service or Hub 4 at the moment even if it were offered free.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cheesebanana
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough.

Why? - My usage can more than justify it.

Hub4 performance doesn't bother me, as long as it can work in its most basic modem only mode, i've got all my own networking equipment i already prefer to use anyway so I wont be subject to any router related issues.

But if the actual performance itself, from people that know what they're doing and aren't just "muh wifi is slow" trying to get 1gig down on a 2.4hz decade old wifi card 3 rooms away, is being seen as questionable, then i'lll look into that.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

IMO, and most others too, the 1Gbps product is not about being able to give a single device the full 1Gbps (equipment permitting), it's about having enough bandwidth available to service multiple devices at same time - does that fit your usage scenarios?

personally i have the 200Mbps (220Mbps in reality) package, and i would call myself a power user and absolutely hammer the connection regularly. I can download a 4k bluray remux (50-80GB file) from usenet at the full 26MB/s anywhere between 30minutes to 50minutes. I'd struggle to argue that I need them downloaded faster.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
cheesebanana
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

In both single device situation (particularly the upload side), and multi device situations, the 1gig would certainly be a step up for my usage.

I hadn't even bothered to check until recently, and was sure that 200 was the max I could be on at my current, fairly non central location, but turns out I can get quite a bit more than I imagined.

0 Kudos