Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Anyone at Virgin interested in retaining a customer?

Hello,

My contract with Virgin ends on the 27/02. My simple and basic package of M100 Fibre Broadband, Wireless Broadband and Talk Weekends currently costs £34.25. I have a Telephone Line Rental discount that expires on 16/03, at which time the best new price (by letter) Virgin are offering for the same services is £49.00.

That is a 43% increase and is practically forcing me to look elsewhere.

Today, I tried to negotiate a better price. I wanted a UK based Virgin employee, as I can hear them better (overseas call centres always seem to have too much background noise) and suspect they might have more licence in offering better deals. No joy in either talking to a UK person or being offered a lower cost.

I'd appreciate any advice/comments/ in how best to achieve my goal, especially anyone from Virgin.

I've been with since 2009, though perhaps for not much longer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Anyone at Virgin interested in retaining a customer?

Unfortunately, there's plenty of evidence in these forums that Virgin Media are currently clamping down on discounts, presumably because their extensive data shows that if they refuse a discount relatively few customers leave, and those that do are skinflints who are easily replaced as a result of VM's vast marketing efforts.  In your case (and mine for that matter), we're amongst those least attractive skinflint customers - we want a discount to reward our loyalty, we don't buy an extensive range of services, and our speeds are towards the bottom end of VM's range. In VM's eyes, the fact that we've long, long paid off the cost of our connection and the new customer marketing doesn't count for jack s**t.  I'm suspecting that through VM's choices rather than mine that this will be my last year with VM, and that demonstrates their senior management's idiocy - few other companies would throw away a customer relationship of over 25 years as easily as VM currently are.

To put it bluntly, customers like us are reluctantly tolerated rather than wanted. VM want people who think that they need a 500 Mbps -1 Gbps connection, buy a lard-bottomed TV package with 400 channels, add in a mobile, a call-anytime package, and will pay the handsome fees that such packages have.

If you want the best price, then you need to consider Openreach ISPs.  There's usually a range of attractive discounts from companies like BT/Plusnet, Vodafone and Talktalk (and Sky, but they are the Beelzebub amongst the devilry of mass market ISPs, and should be avoided even if free).  There's a range of smaller ISPs with much better customer service, and if price (and rising prices) are an issue, then consider Zen Internet, whose customer service I've found to be excellent and who offer a "no price rises whilst you stay with us" guarantee.  Their initial price probably won't match the discounts offered by BT, Voda et al, on the other hand you don't have to worry about vast "end of contract" price rises.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

To be honest i've found Sky's customer service to be reasonable especially when compared to VM's totally shambolic service. The Ofcom complaints data always shows Sky to be one of the least complained about companies (in stark contrast to VM) so it seems others don't have too much trouble with them either. 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/190150/telecoms-pay-tv-complaints-q3-2019.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, Andruser, for your reply. You've shone a light on the thinking (or perhaps non-thinking) re. Virgin's likely assessment of its users. Time to start looking elsewhere, I suspect.

0 Kudos