cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being scammed?

mikesh
On our wavelength

Hi,

I called Virgin Media today to renew my package for another 18 months of my Ultimate Volt package, now I am having second thoughts?

In early August I tried to renew my package through a guy called Pedro, who was really helpful and he told me he could give me the same package I was on for another 18 months for £80.25 a month (£20.25 more steep but ok)  and I agreed. His quote included all it should (Netflix, Sky, etc.) However the quote omitted the BT Sports now TNT Sport which is one of the few things I watch, as it has all the Champions/Europa League matches. I checked the website and this HAS been taken off. 

It was too early for Pedro to process the order - he was meant to ring me two weeks ago but I have not heard, so I called them again today and I remember why I never call them - I'm WAS ON HOLD for THIRTY MINUTES!!!

Eventually, someone took my call. I won't mention him by name as he was a complete con artist. We eventually sorted a price of £94 which includes TNT Sports and I accepted that, however, when I double check, he pretends the new price doesn't include NETFLIX. This is a big fat LIE!!!!

I was given me a price £80.75 per month for 18 months without TNT Sports but with Netflix, then added £13.75 for the TNT Sports (normally £18) but took off Netflix, which was on HIS first quote, Pedro's quote and part of the package on the Virgin website, .

I don't know if they get brownie point for scamming customers, but he certainly is on his way to losing one.

Thanks,

Mike

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Mike 

Virgin bundles changed on 1st September. TNT Sports was removed from all packages and is now a stand alone add-on, normally priced at £18 per month.  All new customers and anybody regrading wanting TNT Sports would have to ask for it as an additioal, chargeable add-on.  

Ultimate Volt is now obsolete and has been replaced by the Mega Volt bundle.

Does your new package state it's the The Mega Volt bundle?  Do you have an O2 sim as part of the new package?

Standard Netflix is included in the The Mega Volt bundle, however the agent may have had to mix and match various additional services to a basic package to be able to offer you a price point you are happy with.  Or they may have used the The Mega Volt bundle as the base package and then had to remove the netflix standard to get to the agrred price point. He should have told you if this were the case 

Apart from the removal of TNT Sports there are other differences to the old ULtimate Volt bundle.

The Mega Volt bundle is for M500 - anybody wanting GIg1 would have to pay an additional £6 per month.

The Mega Volt bundle only provides one TV360 box. If wanting a second set top box then it's an additional £10  per month, and an extra £5 per month should a 3rd set top box be required.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

mikesh
On our wavelength

Thanks Dave for going into such great detail and I understand the points you make. Let me give you a bit more detail.

The last bill month dated 12/09/23, our final bill in this 18 month contract for £60 showed we had:

Broadband - Discount, Volt Gig1 Fibre Broadband

Television - Sky Sports HD Pack, Sky Sports and Cinema Collection,  Kids Pick, Maxit TV, Virgin TV 360 Mini Box, Virgin TV 360 Box, Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra HD, Netflix Standard, Maxit TV

Telephone - Talk More Anytime, Voicemail Free, Telephone Line Rental

When I received Pedro's quote "for the same as I have" for £80.75 + VAT on 2/08/23 it stated it was for:

Broadband – Volt Gig1 Fibre Broadband

TV – Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Cinema Collection, Sky Sports HD Pack, Kids Pick, Virgin TV 360 box, Virgin TV 360 Mini box, Netflix Standard, Sky Sport HD Pack, TV and Broadband Discount

Phone – Telephone Line Rental, Anytime chatter, Voicemail Free

As this represented what I felt was a fair increase and what I was getting was what I already had, I accepted Pedro’s price and agreed to continue for another 18 months.

Pedro was unable to process the order as it may have been too early and he told me he would call me on 6 September.

It is interesting to note that there is no mention of BT/TNT Sport on either what I have of what Pedro was proposing.

After not hearing from Pedro, I called again yesterday, and after 30 minutes on hold I got to speak to someone. In fairness, they did make it clear that TNT Sports was no longer part of the package and went away for ages to find the best deal for what I had including TNT Sports. He came back with £94  per month and I reluctantly agreed to this. There was definately something dodgy about this guy and I felt I needed to double Netflix was still included. “No” came the answer.

By this time, I’d been on the phone for 90 minutes rapidly losing the will to live and just wanted to end the call with this idiot - feeling I will sort this another day.

His order summary for £94 per month was:

Broadband – Volt Gig1 Fibre Broadband

TV – Additional TV Box, TNT Sports, Kids Pick, Sky Sports and Cinema Collection, Virgin TV 360 Mini box, Sky Sport HD Pack

Phone – TV and Broadband Discount, Telephone Line Rental, Anytime chatter, Voicemail Free

Fortunately, I record all calls to companies like Virgin and always ask for the other partie's permission, so I know what I am telling you is correct.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Mike

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mikesh 

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry you've not had the best experience with our team when negotiating a new deal.

I see Dave has already addressed things in his post but if you would like to discuss this further, please call the Retentions team again on 0345 454 1111 or you may send a message via WhatsApp on +447305 327 112 so we can review your package. 

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

mikesh
On our wavelength

Hi Ayisha,

When I called 0345 454 1111 yesterday I chose the option for "people thinking about leaving Virgin" which I would imagine you refer to as Retentions. Such were Virgin's concerns of losing me as a client they took 30 minutes (29m44s actually) to answer my call. Life is far too short too make calls to Virgin.

You refuse to issue a contactable email address, I have sent one to your ceo  lutz.schueler at virginmedia, but no doubt that will be ignored like previous complaints to Lutz.

Why not just set up a call back service?

And NO Dave's comments, despite being very helpful didn't answer my concerns.

These were the Pedro and the nameless one NOT being honest with me. As I said I am giving Pedro the benefit of the doubt, but not the guy yesterday.

I have just relistened to the call and it we take the point at which we start talking as 0:00, you will hear him tell me at 8:27 "we can provide you with EXACTLY what you have................ for £94 per month." Listen to the call and tell me if you hear different.

Had he added at that point "but in order to make more commission as I am having a really bad month I am taking off Netflix" I would have declined.

I would like to go back to Pedro’s offer on 2 August for everything I currently have with you. This already represents a 36% increase, way over inflation.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi @mikesh,

Thanks for coming back to me. 

We're unable to assist with package changes via the Forums so if you prefer not to call again, please send a message via WhatsApp on +447305 327 112 so the team can review your current deal and help further. 

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

mikesh
On our wavelength

OK, I will try that.

mikesh
On our wavelength

Whatsapp is even worse than phone contact - all bots and no humans.

Connected them at 7am and still waiting for the promised contact at 12pm.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

The WhatsApp and messenger services are not instant replies but an agent will respond when available. You can also use the Live chat option from your online account in the area where you can see new available deals. The live chat option is also not an instant response, as such, it is usually quicker to call directly and the team can look to support further with the available deals. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

mikesh
On our wavelength

I've now received verbal confirmation that I will receive everything I was getting with the now defunct Virgin Bolt Ultimate for 18 months at £80.75 per month.

To get here I've dealt with 6 sales staff and in every case, apart from the initial one with Pedro, I would say each call was a battle and quite unpleasant and had I not recorded each one they would not have agreed the price.

All come up with the usual rubbish "I'm a customer as well......" read straight from a script and , but I find anything they claim as believable as a statement from Prince Harry and Meghan.

I've commented about this incident on other websites and someone with a greater knowledge of the industry than me commented "the days of Sky and Virgin are truly numbered...", so I understand they must be under a lot of pressure, but a little empathy go a long way.

Anyway, today I would like to check one thing. One would expect a new contract to start when the current contract expires as with every other company I deal with and every other normal company. Virgin deliberately refrain from entering any start dates on their contracts and I have now found they started the new contract last Saturday without telling me and more than three weeks before the current one which I have been billed for ends.

How is this legal?