Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

After 20 years – Goodbye

My own personal experience of NTL/ VM has always been one that was mostly positive. However, after receiving my latest bill I decided that it was simply becoming too much and so decided to look around at other “deals”. I noticed VM’s deals are only applicable to new customers so that already pushed me into realising I would be better with another provider.

Calling cancelations this evening I initially spoke with an advisor who took a few details to find out why I was leaving, and followed up by asking if I would be interested in some discount (£30 afaik). However, this discount did not come anywhere close to what a new customer would be charged for the same services, so I politely declined. At this point I was transferred to another advisor - all I would like to say to VM is I highly recommend you play back this call. 

I’d prefer not to go into specifics, but what the advisor was stating was, at times, factually incorrect, highly questionable and rude.

VM – Your approach to your customers has become nothing short of a disgrace.

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: After 20 years – Goodbye

'this discount did not come anywhere close to what a new customer would be charged for the same services'

you aren't a new customer. new customers are groomed in by companies who charge at quite often a loss to get them onboard. if companies such as sky, virgin, bt offered new customer prices to everyone they would be remembered very quickly in the same vein as woolworths, thomas cook, bhs etc.

the only way to stay ahead of the game is to change every provider each and every year. most do not, that is why the business model of offering new customers unbeatable deals works. it is a successful business way. you will leave, another replaces you from sky who has had the same scenario happen to them.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just to add - there are many true, loyal customers, myself included, who would love a £30 per month discount. What you have been offered is generous.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@jamesofmerton wrote:

'this discount did not come anywhere close to what a new customer would be charged for the same services'

you aren't a new customer. new customers are groomed in by companies who charge at quite often a loss to get them onboard. if companies such as sky, virgin, bt offered new customer prices to everyone they would be remembered very quickly in the same vein as woolworths, thomas cook, bhs etc.

Ofcom have been encouraging ISPs to offer better deals to existing customers. As a result, BT, Sky and TalkTalk now allow existing customers to get the same offers as new customers, with a new 12/18 month contract. Unfortunately Virgin didn't agree to do this.

"BTSky and TalkTalk will allow their out-of-contract customers to get the same deals as new customers, when they take out a new contract"

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/fairer-prices-for-broadband-cu...

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate what you are saying about being a “loyal” customer but that should not come at the expense of feeling ripped off.

Personally, I wouldn’t classify myself as ever being loyal to any company. More a case of being satisfied to pay a sum of money each month that I feel is reasonable for the services provided. 

To be paying an additional £480 a year for exactly the same service is not a great feeling for any customer to experience. 

But @jamesofmerton is correct, if you aren’t receiving a decent price, the only way really is to change provider at the end of the contract.

My initial issue, whilst having mentioned the price increase and my disappointment with this, was more to do with the customer service agent who I spoke with.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I got my latest bill in this morning, noticed that the price had changed, which prompted me to look at my contract expiry date, which is next month. On talking to an agent on Live Chat, I was told that I was out of contract, when I challenged this, I was told that was the date that my promotional discount ended. When I then quoted the contract number and expiry date, I was put on hold for a bit and then finally told that I was still under contract till next month. Like the OP, I have been with the Company since the NTL/Telewest days and the Customer Service was generally good, but the drop off over recent years has been substancial. For what is worth, I asked for the contract I was on to be extended and was quoted £35 per month more for what I am getting just now. I will be shopping around over the next couple of weeks that is for sure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for posting A-TNR. 

I am really sorry to hear we've made you feel undervalued and sorry to hear a long term customer is leaving.  Is there anything we can do to help you?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

Whilst the service reliability from VM has been very good, the value for money has become increasingly difficult to justify - especially with these year on year increases.

Furthermore, the assistance from the advisor yesterday evening was poor to say the least. The attitude combined with the responses verged on threatening at times - which only added to my reasoning for wishing to leave. 

With a £480 increase coming my direction, VM practically drove me away. If my monthly charge had simply remained similar to what I was already paying, I’d have been happy to stay. 

However, please correct me if I’m wrong, as I’ve now progressed my cancellation nothing else can be done now anyway?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you may get a call and better offer but its not guaranteed

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

A-TNR

Before I can investigate your account, I will send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen,

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos