Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

After 18 yrs now had enough. Disconnection scheduled.

Virgin Media account number [REMOVED] area reference 28

I have today been shunted round the globe – twice – in an attempt to finally resolve an issue which has been ongoing now for at least 3 or 4 years. The upshot being that after 18 years with Virgin Media (formerly NTL) I have scheduled removal of services on the 19th October 2019. If I am honest the notification of the price rise is not the primary reason for this decision – it just galls me to have to pay even more to not receive the service I have been paying for. My case notes on your systems should tell you the full story – but I will summarise in writing for you again.

For some time now (years rather than months), we have been experiencing signal drop out on wi-fi. We have reported this on numerous occasions down the years with usually a short-term minor improvement, but this has come to a head recently due to a job change. My wife has to frequently call in to video conferencing calls and this is proving frankly impossible via wi-fi. We also tried this via wired ethernet with equally poor results - distorted sound and drop outs. She also has to dial in occasionally via a VPN and this too is impossible as she has to continually log back in. She gets better results tethered to 4G on her mobile........ I have also tried configuring the superhub to modem mode, using my own router but no discernible improvement can be noted. My son reports constant lagging both when gaming and video streaming. Devices will show as being connected to Wi Fi but have the error message no internet connection present. I cannot say if devices lose connection at the same time, but they certainly seem to be kicked off the network. I can also confirm that drop outs exist when streaming music, and that the set top box buffers repeatedly when using on demand services.

Disconnection is scheduled for the 19th October, a situation which I don’t really want but feel I have no choice. The three Virgin Mobile accounts will follow suit too. However I am not going to be totally unreasonable. I am no engineer, however I strongly suspect this problem may lie outwith the house as my wife reports no issues when logging on at her mothers home – who also happens to be on Virgin and at a slower speed! I have reported to the call centres that the toby connection at the pavement is uncovered and full of mud, plus the external connection to the house is in a damp part of the garden. Would it not be prudent to perhaps check for corrosion in these areas? How you deal with this is entirely up to you, all the same you have until then to fix this once and for all and then perhaps I will reverse this decision. If by some minor miracle we do get this resolved then I will also be expecting some form of recompense for the inconsistency of service over the last few years. Over the last 18 years I have steadfastly refused to change provider, however I now think that the service I am receiving is not acceptable and overpriced.

I look forward to some kind of response and hopefully a resolution of the issues.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: After 18 yrs now had enough. Disconnection scheduled.

@ModTeam  someone want to remove account number?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Okay with that out of the road, lets see if we can help.

We like you. You've done all the right things, and by the tone of your post become exasperated with VM support.

You've been with them forever and a day. Capital costs of install were long since depreciated, now your almost pure profit. Exactly the sort of customer VM should be trying to keep.

Your problem is purely support based. You phone em up, tell em your SO has issues with her laptop connected by WiFi and 1st line support switch off- WiFi isn't guaranteed, so Meh.

Thing is, as you have expanded in your post, it looks more like a WAN side issue- can we get some metrics?

Can you post your upstream and downstream power levels..

Go to 192.168.0.1

Do NOT LOG IN- Click router status

hub31.jpg

And post Downstream and Upstream levels..

shub32.png

Network logs would be good too.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick response - remiss of me to leave my account number up. I copy and pasted a letter I was going to send to retentions, but trouble is can't find where to send it.......... This is a merry-go-round.

Back to the issue - It has not had much use this weekend so the fact it was being monitored for 24-48 hrs will reveal nothing. 

Anyway - Thanks for the advice. I will do this twice. It is 0745 now and the results are below. I will repeat the exercise when I get back from work about 1800 and maybe again later in the evening. Tried to capture as much as possible. Thanks for your help. Downstream Capture 0745.PNGUpstream Capture 0745.PNGDownstream Flow Capture 0745.PNGUpstream flow Capture 0745.PNGConfig Capture.PNGStatus Capture.PNGNet log Capture1.PNGNet log Capture1.PNGNet log Capture2.PNGNet log Capture3.PNGNet log Capture4.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No need to repeat, the problems obvious from what you've posted

Upstream power is maxed out.

@ModTeam  can someone pick up and investigate? Likely need an engineers visit.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Update as promised. values taken now @ 1755

Downstream 1 Capture.PNGDownstream 2 Capture.PNGDownstream 3 Capture.PNGDownstream 4 Capture.PNGDownstream 5 Capture.PNGFlow down Capture.PNGFlowo up Capture.PNGUpstream Capture.PNGWarning 2Capture.PNGWarning Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi StescoG66

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're leaving us, it's disappointing to that you have had ongoing issues and by terminating the services seem the only way forward.

We would like to get this matter looked in to for you.

I will pop you over a private message. Click the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Many thanks Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Well can I say things moved quickly since posting on here........... I wish I had done this sooner as the hours I, my wife and my son spent on the phone to overseas call centres - to be repeatedly told everything was working perfectly - is time we won’t get back. Which it patently obviously wasn’t - otherwise we wouldn’t be effing well phoning. Anyway....................

Have had a visit from a VM engineer who was excellent - helpful, courteous and informative ( I think his name was Stevie - please put in a good word for him). In short, he checked the cables outside the house - minor fault found. Cable repull booked. Checked cable going into house - big fault found. He identified straight away the possible cause as being a faulty splitter under the floor, wasn't able to sort straight away, but said he would return after his final job the following day. True to his word he did just that.

Will monitor over the next week or so, but seems a huge improvement. For example - my music streamer has always shown signal levels of between 40 and 60% to date. As of last night sitting rock solid at 100%. Other devices show similar improvements.

Begs the question though - why did its take this aggravation to get this sorted? Why despite my repeatedly insisting that there was a fault - possibly outside - did nobody even think to at least check it out preferring instead to insist there was no fault. Worse - we were on a couple of occasions told that the fault would be fixed remotely “within half an hour” - the cynic in me thinks this was flannel to get us off the line to massage call centre stats. I won’t clog up the post with call centre stories, but we have a few. 

As I said - we will monitor this over the coming week. Furthermore - could this be the original problem that I reported years ago and have put up with a sub standard service ever since? Am still somewhat aggrieved about the whole thing to be honest, as so much hassle for both sides could have been so easily avoided.

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately this kind of situation, where there is an obvious technical problem but the call centre fail to spot it and insist everything is fine, seems to be increasingly common. Virgin Media's customer service is atrocious. I wonder how many customers have cancelled due to technical issues that could have been resolved by an engineer visit.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

While VM customer service is far from the best, I htink it could be safe to say they are possibly the best of an increasingly bad bunch.

That said, once they sprung into long-overdue action, they were great. Not cancelling the disconnection yet though until I am convinced it is solved. Plus I want something back for the aggro and the fact I have not been receiving what I have been paying for.........

0 Kudos