Menu
andrewsg
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Account closed without notice; Service line hung up on me

Heres a little timeline:

29th December: I call virgin to let them know I'm moving house. They inform me that as there is no service in the new place I can close my account with the associated exit fee of ~£240 (WOW!). I said to wait and that I would like to speak to a manager when possible to explore my options.

30th December: Next day I speak to a manager to try and find some option that doesn't involve the frankly extortionate exit fee. They let me know that I can do an exchange of contract responsibility, so I agree that in March I will hand over the contract to a family member and until that point I will pay my bills as normal without cancelling my contract.

Whoever I spoke to on the 30th December forgot to pass on our conversation, as today I have received a letter in the post informing me my contract has been terminated early and that I owe the disconnection fee. 

So naturally I went to the helpline to work out what happened. I passed all these details to a guy who said he would sort it out and could I hold. I said yes, and he hung up.

I would like somebody to get in touch with me about going forward with the agreed upon plan in our 30th December call. And to immediately cancel the final bill and early disconnection fee.

0 Kudos
andrewsg
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account closed without notice; Service line hung up on me

Bump. Come on guys. 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account closed without notice; Service line hung up on me

Hi andrewsg,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of this. The charge for disconnection would be valid however, as the contract is only valid for the property you're in. Virgin Media do not guarantee to service every UK address, though we are expanding our network. You can register for the new address here 

This means that if you were disconnecting mid-contract, you'd be given a capped early disconnection fee of upto £240. Depending on how many months left of the contract and also if no-one was going to be at that property who you could transfer the contract too (should they agree), then the capped disconnection fee maybe a cheaper overall cost than paying the contract monthly until it ends. 

This charge is mentioned in our Terms and Conditions, which can be found here point N and 3.

I can also see you've spoke to the team since posting and the account is sorted. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos