Menu
Lisa53
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Account Transfer

My account is in my now ex husband’s name but I pay the bill and can change the package etc so must be named on the account.  He needs to be taken from the account but it seems a complicated process.  After reading everything on here it seems the easiest way to sort this is by him completely cancelling the account and returning the relevant equipment from my property and then me setting up a new account.   The issue is I am working from home so can’t be without internet. He rang a few days ago and spent 2 hours waiting to speak to someone and is still none the wiser.  Is my best bet just to cancel the account and go elsewhere? My whole divorce was a more simple procedure than this. Can another company come and install their stuff before Virgin remove theirs so I don’t have a break in internet access? 

I get there are more important things going on in the world right now, but really need this sorting.

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Transfer

OK, here's the position. You decide what to do as a result.

You can't cancel the account. It isn't yours. It doesn't matter that you pay the bill. All you can do is tell VM that the account holder has left the premises, and that you will now stop paying the bill. It isn't your responsibility anyway.  They'll chase him, if they can find him.  VM no longer offer an account transfer from one person to another.

You can apply for a new VM account. You will be send new equipment that you can install yourself but only if VM accept you as a customer after a credit check. Any email addresses you have on the old account will be lost when VM close it as they will after your "gone away" report and cancellation of the payment authority. You won't be able to re-create your personal addresses on the new account. Addresses are account linked and one-time only use.

You can move to an alternative non-VM supplier. That means one which will be using the BT Openreach network. That will only work smoothly if you have a functioning BT line installed in your home. If it needs activating your new supplier will do that for you. Most of these installations are self-install, unless you do need a new BT Openreach line when BT Openreach will come and install when your new supplier asks them to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lisa53
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, he is happy to ring up and cancel the account but doesn’t want to leave me in the lurch. My only issue is time without internet connection for work purposes. If VM can guarantee a quick turnaround for cancelling his account and starting mine, then I’ll do that. Credit check shouldn’t be a problem as I’ve just remortgaged into my sole name so my credit is good. My email isn’t an issue either.

The issue I have is needing to speak to them and it’s virtually impossible at the moment. 

Would a new supplier come in and connect their internet before we cancel VM, is that feasible? I’m not bothered about the cost, just that I don’t have a break in internet coverage. Or can I sign up as new customer to VM before he cancels his account.

I think I’ve given myself a headache 😂

Very grateful for your help

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Understand this. I am not a member of VM's staff. I am a VM user like you. I cannot and will not advise on your scenarios. I can't say whether VM will accept you as a customer.  And yes there is bound to be a delay in keeping VM with a new account. Your husband has to give 30 days notice of cancellation and under present conditions VM may not be able to guarantee an instantaneous transition between his account and your new one. Yes it is feasible that if you go with another supplier that uses the BT Openreach network you can overlap successfully. In a normal situation where someone is switching suppliers that is what we would advise anyway (from experience) to overlap in case something goes wrong.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lisa53
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos