Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Account Holder Passed Away - transferred but have email addresses concerns

Hi there

The account was originally in my mother's name, who very sadly passed away in January. I called up to get the account transferred into my name, which has been done. I've logged in using the new account number, and changed the main email address from her old gmail account, to mine (I spoke to one of your tech support guys earlier who said that it had to be a non-ntlworld/non-virginmedia email address). I have also updated the contact details to my name and also changed the email address too, and updated the security questions.

When I originally rang up to inform of the death of the account holder I was told that when the account transfers, my ntlworld email address, which I've been using for around 10+ years, would expire after a month or so, and I would have to use a new @virginmedia.com account instead. Is this correct? Am I going to lose use of the email address I've had for so long? I've tried creating the same first part of the email address but with the @virginmedia.com domain instead, but it says that it isnt available. I tried sending a test email to that address but it is bouncing back, so it seems that this address may be reserved for me? Can it be allocated to me? Or is it not necessary?

I just need some clarity on whether I can continue using my ntlworld.com mail indefinitely or is it going to expire and I'll have to use a new one?

The guy I spoke to in tech support over the phone said that I should be able to add the existing email address into the "manage accounts" section but I said that the option wasnt there, he then said that the option should be there and he said he will have to login to my account and asked me for the password, I made an excuse and ended the call as I dont believe that anyone should be asking for my password and logging in as me? (correct me if I'm wrong)

So, in summary:-

1. Will my main ntlworld email address be deactivated/deleted by yourselves, or will I be able to continue using it indefinitely
2. If I will have to have a new email address, am I able to use the email address with the same username part, just with the virginmedia.com instead (ie using abcd1234@virginmedia.com instead of abcd1234@ntlworld.com)
3. can the two email addresses be linked so any emails sent to the old ntlworld version of the email address be forwarded on to the virginmedia.com version?

Happy to discuss this over the phone with someone. I'm just very concerned that I'm soon going to lose my main email address which I've used for 10+ years and I will have an absolute nightmare going through every single account I have with any websites (easily in their hundreds!) and having to amend the email address of every single one, and no doubt have to go through activation emails, that's stressful, I've already had enough stress this year what with losing my mother in January....

Hope someone can assist, thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Holder Passed Away - transferred but have email addresses concerns

Hi Cutters1982,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum and wish to send my condolences to you and your family. I appreciate that this is the last thing you need with everything going on and would like to help. I'll send a Private Message so I can get some details from you and see if we can migrate your email address over to your new account.

Please reply back to it so I can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Holder Passed Away - transferred but have email addresses concerns

Hi Lisa

Thanks, will take a look now

Cheers