Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Account Changes

I recently requested a change to my account details to reduce costs. I agreed a change which I thought was a reasonable adjustment only to find that most of these expectations where misguided. I contacted a help service to be told that the complaints department would be in touch (24-48 hours) they haven’t and so I am left with a reduced service but the same cost. How does this happen with such a large company and how do I resolve this without moving my account to a more reliable provider? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Changes

How does this happen with such a large company 

I've worked for enough similar sized customer service companies to tell you: Rank, steaming incompetence.  Everything is designed around each company's small fleet of antiquated, incompatible systems.  These are applied to poorly designed, poorly configured, disorganised, incomplete customer databases.  Operational processes that link systems and data are thought out with all the energy, dedication and skill of the Keystone Kops.  And thus you have a triumvirate of crap systems, crap data and crap processes.  Virgin Media guild this lily by contracting out their customer service to the world's worst offshore call centre (I've heard more committed and convincing callers telling me that my PC has a virus and I must give the caller full control of my PC to fix the fault).  A further consideration is that VM are totally dominated by a focus purely on new sales and upgrades, they don't give a flying cowpat about giving customers better value, or providing the service they're being paid for.

how do I resolve this without moving my account to a more reliable provider? 

If you're lucky, the helpful UK based forum staff will respond and resolve this quickly and efficiently.  But if they don't get it sorted to your FULL satisfaction very quickly, then you should raise a complaint (written, printed, posted, because VM can't cope with voice or digital communication), making it clear that you want the agreed terms honoured* and compensation for being messed around.  The purpose of a formal complaint is not in the expectation of VM resolving it, as their record of resolving complaints is appalling, but because you have to complain and give the company eight weeks (!) to resolve it before you can escalate to CISAS, the independent arbitration service.  Looking at the reported numbers, I think VM are quite happy with their poor handling of complaints, because they hope most people will give up without escalating to CISAS.  But those who persevere are rewarded - VM only win about 2% of complaints that got to CISAS.

* Whatever you agreed with the VM agent, the company have to honour.  The 2015 Consumer Rights Act is unequivocal that "information that is written or spoken is binding where the consumer relies upon it".  Don't be fobbed off by any attempts to claim misunderstandings, or agents making mistakes, if VM's agents promised you anything that would qualify as within reason, the company have to honour that promise.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Changes

Thank you for your post PeteG24645385 and welcome to our community.

When making changes to your package in the first month you may see some prorate charges which would be the difference between your old package price and your new package price. You may see that the same price bill has gone out before the change took place as this was produced prior to this, you will then see the next bill will have the difference taken off of this if needed.

You may be able to see this or the agreed to package price on your online account on the bill breakdown as well as the contract listed on here. 

Let us know if you have any other queries following this.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos