cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutely Shambolic Service

Voivi
Tuning in

To say that the service I have received from Virgin Media is shambolic, is an understatement. I cannot believe that such a large company can make so many errors, in such a short time.

My partner and I are moving to Europe. We are out of contract and on the 19th May 2022, we spent over 4 hours on the phone to VM, in an attempt to provide 30 days notice of cancellation.

We were shoved from one department to another with each call taker stating that we needed to speak to a different department (despite selecting we were moving house/ thinking of leaving). We were put through to India retentions, UK retentions, house moving dept before being transferred to another team, before the call centre closed, and despite being in a call que, our call was disconnected.

On the 2oth of May, we tried again and after another 3 hours of call drops and various call handlers, we were finally transferred to disconnections. 

Here's a short section of my call transcript.

Voivi  06:24 We tried yesterday for over three hours trying to cancel our account, but we kept getting cut off and somebody's put a note on the system apparently that's what they said, to try and put us through to the right number. And then we finally got, well we nearly got through and then I think your systems closed at nine o'clock or something like that.

Voivi  06:43 All we're trying to do, we're moving to the XXXX Islands in a month's time and we were just trying to give the 30 days’ notice, because we were out of contract.

Naomi  06:53 Okay.

Voivi  06:54 So, it was just as simple as that but we couldn't get it done. As I say we tried for a long, long time.

Naomi then took our details and wanted to know our new address, We pointed out that we didn't have one yet, but that the current address was our family home, so it would still be valid.

To cut a long story short here, Naomi, unbeknown to us at the time, incorrectly processed our 30 days notification as an immediate disconnection request, and to add insult to injury, she stated that we would be charged an early disconnection fee of £59.94. I challenged this fee, as we were out of contract, but Naomi insisted that it was correct.

The next day our internet and phone were cut off and they stayed off for almost 3 days.

We called and asked why had we been cut off, as all we had done was give 30 days notice. After several more marathon phone sessions, we were told this was an error, and we would be reconnected. Shortly after this, we were shocked to receive a new 18 month contract via e-mail. 

Once again, we spent hours on the phone trying to find out why a new contract had been sent out and why our bill had suddenly jumped from £65.75 to an outstanding balance of £166.73! 

We were told the bill would be corrected, the disconnection charge removed.

We asked if we would be compensated for 3 days of lost service, but we were told only a manager could authorise this. 

We then asked if we could lodge a formal complaint about our case, and were told a manger would contact us in the near future to discuss the matter.
A few days later we called again to check that our 30 days termination notification from the 19th of May was still being honoured.

We were told that it wasn't, but the operator stated that she would ensure that it would be activated and post dated. The contract and services should have ended on the 19th/20th of June, but as I write this post, we still have internet and telephone connected, and our current bill is still showing £166.93. I suspect that Virgin Media have charged us for 1 month up front and one month of service which applies to new customers, but for some reason, they have not rectified this.

Now to make matters worse, my brother is due to move into the family home now that we have left. He applied for a new account online, was given an order number and contract details and told his equipment would arrive on the 17th June. (They did not and have not).

He like ourselves, spent over 5 hours on the phone to VM, trying to find out why his order was delayed. He was given a number of reasons, including - no order existed - The house appeared to be a business (It isn't) and that I would need to cancel my VM contract, before he could apply for his. (despite the VM website having the option to select I am moving into a property already connected to VM. 

Like me, my brother was passed from pillar to post on the phone. He started calling just around 4pm and gave up completely around 8pm, after being cut in from phone queue after 65 minutes, without anyone picking up.

Despite several requests by myself to speak with a manager about such appalling service, I have still not been contacted. My VM bill is still wildly inaccurate and my services are still connected, when they shouldn't be. My brother still hasn't got his new account sorted, despite receiving e-mail confirmation and it looks as though he will have to start his application all over again.

I understand that this is quite a long post now, but believe me, this is only a tiny fraction of what has occurred during my effort to provide Virgin Media with the required 30 days notice.
Nobody at Virgin seems to give a damn about the situation and no one single person is able to deal with my case as a whole. 

I have enough stress on my plate moving house and I want to get this sorted!

I hope someone at VM will take notice and offer some genuine assistance.

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Ordinarily much of the advice here might help, whether in the circumstances you can be bothered to put VM's fingers into the grinder that is CISAS only you know, and I suspect you've other priorities.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Voivi, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that moving home and getting the notice given on your account has been such hard work. This is not the usual journey and we can absolutely take a look at things to see what is what. 

In order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you so I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello Kath, thank you for your reply. 

I have provided the information requested via PM.

Regards

Voivi

Hello Kath_F

May I just update you. I had to make contact with VM customer services again today and I was actually put through to a number of extremely helpful UK based operatives. As a result, another official complaint was raised to discuss my issues. After this, I was then put through to Jennifer from the Belfast Home Movers Team, and all I can say is, she was brilliant!

Jennifer was by far and away the very best customer services advisor that I have spoken to during this entire ordeal. She was extremely professional, patient and understanding of the situation and she has managed to sort out my predicament during one single call. Jennifer also managed to sort out my brothers forthcoming new account at the property, which should be up and running by the weekend.

I have received my final closing date and I can now finally continue my move to Europe with a lot less needless anxiety, thanks wholly to Jennifers' efforts. She is one very special and professional lady. 

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I hope to finally get a good nights sleep without the additional worry that this string of errors caused. It has been a most dreadful experience, that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, yet despite the odds, Jennifer has managed to turn such a negative experience into a positive. I can't praise her enough. 😀

If you are able, would you please pass on my positive comments to Jennifer and her line managers at the Belfast office please? 

Sincere thanks

Voivi

Hi Voivi, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message and updating me with how things went. I'm really glad Jennifer was able to help get things resolved for you. 

I have forwarding on your feedback to her and her manager. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs