Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Abrupt disconnection of elderly mother in law's phone, TV etc!

Hello all,

I felt I just had to get signed up on this forum in desperation to ask for help with how to deal with the lack of customer service my elderly (84 years old) mother in law has been experiencing over the last number of weeks....culminating in VM suddenly without warning cutting off her service this morning (phone, TV etc) with a billing message on the TV screen. She has been with Virgin many years, paying her bills without fail every month at the Post Office. 

Starting a few weeks ago, she had started to experience what I can only describe as extreme pixelation across her TV screen. I went over to have a look and tried the usual resetting and also replaced the HDMI lead, even plugged in a different TV into the (Tivo) box, no luck still the same. I then called VM and went through the remote restart thing, it worked for a few hours then the screen issues returned so I called VM and arranged for an engineer visit. He did a few things (replaced the wall connection box and said that more work needed to be done down the road at the main junction box). He mentioned to my mother in law that the new v6 box is better at coping with a poor signal, maybe an upgrade would sort the problem once and for all and for what she is paying she should easily be able to get the new box although it will need broadband to be installed for it to work. 

A week later, pixelation was still present (even worse now) so I went over to see her again and we discussed the current issue and agreed to cancel her service unless Virgin could get this issue sorted without further delay (over 3 weeks now of unwatchable tv). Over two hours later, after many calls to (and from) Virgin, I eventually got put through to retentions, mother in law agreed to have the v6 box installed along with broadband  for an extra £5 per month as long as the problem with pixelation was sorted (she was already paying around £58 per month for tv and phone). At no time during these calls were any extra charges mentioned and I gave the retentions operator my email address so that I could go through what had been agreed (although no email was ever received!)

The engineer turned up as agreed on Wednesday this week to install the equipment, it has all been working fine and mother in law is very happy with the picture...until everything went off (including her phone) this morning without warning. She called Virgin to find out what had happened and was met with a response that completely shocked her; it seems that installation and activation charges were applied to her account (that had not been mentioned on the phone two weeks ago)  had taken her over her credit limit and automatically shut off all her services, including leaving her unable to dial out on her home phone! She then called me from her mobile (its a good job she has one), understandably extremely upset and asking if I could help. I spoke to a nice chap that agreed (after having long on hold conversations with his supervisor) to get a manager to credit £124.95 and reinstate her service, but was not able to credit the £35.00 activation charge. After another call to mother in law while on hold, we decided to request cancellation of her subscription due to the extremely poor customer service Virgin have provided, including disconnecting her this morning without any prior warning (for this I have requested a complaint be registered). My email address was given again to make sure we get confirmation (I had to spell it out 3 times!), I was told that the original email was sent to mother in laws email address (she is 84 and has never had an email address in her life!). An elderly lady of this age should surely not have to experience this kind of treatment from such a large organisation as Virgin Media?

Two hours later, her service is still not reinstated and no contact at all from Virgin, please help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media abruptly disconnected elderly mother in law's phone, TV etc!

Hello dogsdanglys

So sorry that you have had to resort to contacting us on the this Forum

What I can and will be more than happy to do is sort this whole fiasco out 

As the account is in your Mother in Laws name, I will need to send you a private message to get the account details 

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for responding so quickly, I have sent the required details in a PM as requested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks dogsdanglys

I have that reply now.

Let me have a look at everything now for you. 

As soon as I sorted this out, I will be back in touch by Private Message 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos