Menu
AndrewJP
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

£50 (!) “Activation Fee” for new channels

I was considering adding some new channels. In order to upgrade, I must pay a £50 activation fee.

Please can someone from Virgin explain what am I paying for that can possibly justify that sum of money?

It kind of feels like Netflix charging me £50 to join.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: £50 (!) “Activation Fee” for new channels

The cost of processing a package upgrade would be a matter of pence if done online, if done by phone then at fully loaded* labour costs of say a 7 minute call, even to a UK call centre the cost is about four quid.

So what you're getting for your £50 is the warm feeling that you're increasing VM's profits by at least £46.

* Fully loaded labour costs are calculated as average salary, plus IT costs, management overheads, HR & payroll, premises and facilities, benefits and bonuses etc, add it all up, divide it down by time worked, and voila you have the genuine cost of answering the telephones.  If it's done by offshore gibberers then you can half that cost, although getting worse customer service thrown in.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @AndrewJP

Thank you so much for your post to our Community Forums and welcome to the team! It's great to have you onboard! 

I'm so sorry to see you've faced activation charges when trying to add channels to your package! Can I ask how you made this enquiry and what exactly you wanted to add on? I'd be more than happy to take another look for you? Thank you. 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

AndrewJP
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks @Andruser, kind of what I thought. This was from the “My Upgrades and Offers” link on my account. It’s an offer that includes a “loyalty discount”.

I’m clicking a link on a web page and some databases records are updated. Hard to see why it costs them anything beyond maybe pence for some admin, and chances are it’s fully automated, in which case it costs them nothing.

i hope it’s a mistake...

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi AndrewJP, 

can you provide us with a screen shot you get when trying to add the channels?

Zoie

AndrewJP
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Ashleigh_C,

I logged in to my account and then clicked “Upgrade your TV”. It was on that page, the “Bigger Cinema Bundle”.

The only packages with an activation fee seem to be the ones with a loyalty discount. But now I look, it’s not just the TV. If I want to pay an extra for “Talk More Weekends”, I must again pay £50 for the privilege. Same story for broadband.

Is this an error, and if not, what is the activation am I paying for? What does Virgin actually have to do?

It’s a genuine question, it just doesn’t seem right. I could understand it if an engineer is needs to come out or new equipment is required, but that can’t be the case here.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AndrewJP
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As requestedAs requested

0 Kudos
AndrewJP
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zoie_P,

Hopefully that screenshot  will finish being checked soon and you’ll be able to see it. I’m starting to get the impression this is not expected!

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The screenshots are an error which has occurred before. 

For starters it shows £14.50 extra a month for a 1 month contract. VM contracts are for either 12 or 18 months, unless you are out of contract and on a rolling 1 month contract paying full price. If new equipment is required there's usually a one off fee of £30.

VM are currently charging new customers an activation fee of £35. However, if they are on one of VM's 30-day rolling contracts they need to pay an additional one-off flexi fee of £45.  Plus home delivery of equipment is an additional £5.

The price will probably change and correct itself when you get through to the basket checking out page

You can also call  150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, and speak to either regrades or Retentions (thinking of leaving us) and negotiate a new deal which may be better than the online  one. If phoning it's best to call between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
AndrewJP
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to everyone that responded. I’ll give the customer retention team a ring.