Menu
Symon247
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

4 Months of being Over Charged - Nightmare!

Now heading into month 5 of my Virgin Media nightmare!

We started off in January 2021 where we struggled to get VM to agree to the monthly payments I had been offered in the 'My Offers' section of their website. After many, many hours talking to various different departments and people we finally came to an agreement that a rolling credit would be applied to my account. We were informed that this rolling credit would not show on the account, but not to worry it would be automatically applied each month.

The day prior to when we were due to receive the Quick Start package we received an email from Yodel advising that our VM package would be delivered to our chosen collection point. I checked that this was correct and VM had sent it to a collection point 200 miles from our home. Now having to spend even more time on the phone with VM (another couple of hours and different departments) delivery was arranged for the following week, which we received.

Our first bill was not correct, the rolling credit had not been applied, so I had to get back on the phone to VM and find out why. This has now been going on since that first bill and every time I contact VM they confidently inform me that this has now been rectified, it never has. My last call they decided to offer a refund of the monies over charged (this is where it gets messier still!) all I had to do was contact my bank and place an Indemnity Claim for the over due amount. I did this and have just found out that instead of refunding the partial amount (£40) they have refunded the whole bill! As soon as I saw this I knew that there was going to be even more issues. So now I am being charged the entire bill from last month, on top of the incorrect amount this month, and they have even charged me a late payment fee!!

The service we have received has been nothing short of appalling. Is there any way that due to these issues we are able to cancel our VM contract without penalty? I have lost all faith in them ever getting it right.

Thanks 

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 4 Months of being Over Charged - Nightmare!

That is appalling.  Something else to consider - VM may have notified the "late" payment to the credit history providers, which may impact your credit record for the next six years.  I'm horrified that some utter clown at VM told you to claim the money back from your bank.

There are routes forward here, if necessary involving a formal complaint to VM seeking an immediate and generous resolution including compensation, retrospective application of the offered deal, correction of any credit history entries, and potentially allowing you to leave without penalty.  And if VM reject that you can escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, who are far more likely to give you the outcome you want.  Do not do anything like stop the direct debit, that'll compound the problem for you, without harming VM.

But although effective, the formal complaint + CISAS route will be slow, and the best and quickest outcome for you and VM is if the forum staff can intervene and sort out a resolution that is good for you.  I'll flag your post for them to attend to.  Give them the chance.  If you're still not happy you can then complain and escalate to CISAS, but as soon as you do that it "freezes" the ability of the company to respond, and you can then have a long wait.  As an example I've just got a nice settlement from the similar Energy Ombudsman scheme for an issue that first started kicking off with my then energy supplier (Avro Energy - avoid!) back May/June of last year, and raised with the Ombudsman in October.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Symon247
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your speedy and helpful reply, Andrew.

I'm hoping that it doesn't come to it but I shall, as you have advised, give the team a chance to rectify the issue. The most worry point you have raised which I did not consider is the late payment on my otherwise flawless credit file. I will follow this up if it does in fact have a negative impact.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Symon247,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your bills looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

I just want to ask a few more questions in order to make sure I understand the situation - 

• What is the correct amount you should be being billed each month?
  • What amount was in this rolling credit? 
  • Lastly, have you been able to view your credit file? 

I will try my very best to sort this issue for you 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Symon247
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan, 

Thank you for your response.

I will send a DM to answer your questions.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Symon247
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

I am wondering you have received my DM?

Is there any other information I can provide to help resolve this issue ?

Thanks

0 Kudos