cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25% price hike part way through my contract.

mmjl
Tuning in

I agreed on a package with Virgin in September 2022. In Febuary they put it up by 25%. I called Virgin over a month ago and they agreed that it was an error and promised that my package would be reset to the contract price and the difference charge refunded. As this didnt happen I called just now. Catelin from support said that there was no record of this and the increase stands. I asked if she could open a complaint and she said it was pointless as the complaint would be closed once the call was finished. I asked if that meant she won't and she said no, but it was pointless. I then insisted that even though she thought it was pointless, that she did. Eventially she said that she would. I have posted the complaint she opened. No details and incorrect.

According to uSwitch price rises should be at the end of the contract and not past way through.and certainly not 25%.

I cannot put the uSwitch link in but it ends in \broadband/guides/virgin-media-price-increase-what-can-customers-do/

Can anyone help?

Customer account number: xxxxxxxxxx
Complaint reference: C-060823379

Hello xxxx xxxxx,  

Thanks so much for the chat on 06/08/2023. We’re very happy to be able to resolve things for you.

Here’s a quick recap

Your complaint was:
Cable -> Customer Experience -> Other

And here’s what we agreed:
Billing -> Extra guidance on billing

Stay on top of your services

To make the most of your time with us, make sure you’ve downloaded the My Virgin Media app. With it, you can manage your bills with a tap and a swipe, check the service status in your area, find out when we expect any known problems will be fixed, diagnose issues with your in-home equipment, and loads more.

Most of our customers resolve their issues through our Resolution Process. So you can better understand the outcome of your complaint, you can read our full Complaints Code here. We can also send you a copy in the post.

We’re part of an Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme, who you can contact if after speaking to me we’re unable to resolve things. Details of the scheme can be found at:

Ombudsman Services
Phone: 0330 440 1614
Web: [www.ombudsman-services.org]www.ombudsman-services.org
Email: [enquiry@ombudsman-services.org]enquiry@ombudsman-services.org 
Post: Ombudsman Services: Communications, P.O. Box 730, Warrington, WA4 6WU

Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team
8 REPLIES 8

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey mmjl,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your pricing at the moment, the article that I believe you're referring to that is here states that you will receive a out of contract price rise but it doesn't say that we cannot add a mid contract price rise. If the team have looked into your complaint about the price rise and have given this as your resolution, we wouldn't be able to do anything further from here as your complaint has already been closed down, we would not be able to advise anything further or different to the resolution provided. You are free to raise a further complaint with the ombudsman as detailed at the bottom of your letter for this to be looked into further. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

I actually discussed this with the author of the article and he also thought Virgin were not going to make mid term changes. In fact his contract did not change. He has told me he will upgrade the article to reflect what is really happening.

He was also shocked at the 25% rise I incurred and I guess that others have.

I will go to the Ombudsman but first I would like to post in other social media channels and consumer groups to try to find out why some customer have been hit with price rises and others havn't..  Also to understand what percentages Virgin is applying to those it feels should pay.

I also what to try to check this out with the CEO's executive office. They often try to help when contacted.

You did mention that a compalint has already been opened and closed so you cannot pursue this. Bearing in mind my issues, do you think that the copy of the complaint I added above is at all professional.

Here’s a quick recap

Your complaint was:

Hi @mmjl 

Your individual price rise will be specific to the service you have. Overall, the average price rise is 13.8%. Some price changes will be lower and some customers will be excluded completely.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

@Carley, but my price rise was 25%.. I am sorry, but when i started this contract in September 2022 till January 2023 the inflation rate has not gone up 25%

It was agreed by Virgin a couple of months ago that this was a mistake and Virgin said that it would be brought back to the contract price and the over charge refunded. When I phoned yesterday I was told that there was no record of this and I was told the price stands. When I pushed for this to be made a complaint it was opened and closed and this is what was logged. (I know you think this is correct and professional, but in my view it is far from this)

Here’s a quick recap

Your complaint was:

@Steven, regarding your comment about the article

"the article that I believe you're referring to that is ""here"" states that you will receive a out of contract price rise but it doesn't say that we cannot add a mid contract price rise."

Actually, currently it says

"However, another key difference with Virgin Media is that you will only be charged this price increase once your initial contract term has ended. Which means you'll face a much higher monthly price when your contract ends - but it also means you're free to switch to a better deal before having to pay that higher amount."

I believe the complaint was opened as you had requested and expressed your dissatisfaction and the agent closed as they had provided the information and explained the billing complaint, but if this was still in dispute then this should have been escalated to their manager for further investigation rather than closed, my apologies @mmjl 

Let's take a look at our side to see if we can help further in confirming what has happened. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon or if you're using a smaller device, you can see your private messages by clicking on the Virgin Media logo at the top right and select 'Messages' from the drop down. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mmjl wrote:

@Steven, regarding your comment about the article

"the article that I believe you're referring to that is ""here"" states that you will receive a out of contract price rise but it doesn't say that we cannot add a mid contract price rise."

Actually, currently it says

"However, another key difference with Virgin Media is that you will only be charged this price increase once your initial contract term has ended. Which means you'll face a much higher monthly price when your contract ends - but it also means you're free to switch to a better deal before having to pay that higher amount."

What you have highlighted is that you are on a fixed discount deal, not a fixed price. The price shown for “end of contract” is the price of your deal without the discounts, not with any increase to the base price, which would have been an unknown quantity at the time the deal was signed.

Look at your bills in the “Promotions & Discounts” box below your Package Details. If it states “You are receiving a discount that will end on date/month/year, you are on fixed discount & the base price is variable. Having said that the increase this year should only be 13.9% not 25%, so it does need some investigation.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for joining me on private message @mmjl 

Glad that we've been able to resolve this for you today, please do let me know if you have any further issues on this and I'll be able to assist further. 

If you believe the issue to be resolved you can mark the thread as resolved by clicking the helpful answer given and this will show anyone else having issue that an answer was given and direct them to the post, alternatively you can just like or 'kudos' the post if it helped you. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Carley