Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

20Mb Broadband - 30Gb Cap Lifted?

I've read a few articles over the last two days about an agreement which has recently been agreed between the government and ISP's to remove data caps on fixed-line broadband, and it includes VM:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52091359 

It is an agreement which has been reported as taken place with 'immediate effect'.

Can any VM representative therefore confirm if the 20Mb broadband service which was capped at 30Gb has now had that cap lifted?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: 20Mb Broadband - 30Gb Cap Lifted?

In this article 'A host of companies have agreed to remove data allowance caps on current fixed broadband services and will offer assistance to customers finding it difficult to pay their bills as a result of COVID-19.'

https://digit.fyi/uk-broadband-providers-data-cap-covid-pandemic/ 

Anyone have any information about what Virgin Media is now doing to assist those who are struggling to pay their bills?

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

According to Emma_C the cap has indeed been removed as per the agreement made between ISP's and the government. Could a staff member message me please? I've spoken to two people working in retentions and no-one is aware of this lifting of the data cap, they are all saying that Fibre 20 still has a 30Gb cap:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Broadband-data-cap/td-p/4185012 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hovercraft,

Like you, I am using M20 Fibre Broadband ( 30 GB Data ).

Received an email 20/03/2020 with the heading “we’re permanently removing the cap on your broadband, at no extra cost.” Email states - “Meanwhile, if you’re likely to be spending more time at home at the moment, we want to make sure you’ve got the broadband data you need. That’s why we’re removing the limits on your broadband connection, at no extra cost.

With unlimited broadband, you can stream, browse and download as much as you want, without worrying about hitting a cap.

The cap will be taken off on Monday 23rd March and won’t be put back on. This doesn’t change your contract, and you don’t need to do anything.”

However, I am receiving notifications that I have used 80% and now 90% of this month's data. If the cap has been removed – why are these notifications been sent ?

If the cap has been removed, why is it not mentioned on Virgin Media’s Update on Covid-19 page - “How we’re helping our customers” ? Virgin Media Mobile users are mentioned.

Echoing yours words – please can Virgin Media management confirm that the limits / cap for M20 Fibre Broadband ( 30 GB Data ) have been removed from Monday 23rd March 2020.

Machineage – I agree it is worrying that VM staff working in retentions & accounts are not aware of this lifting of the data cap, they are all saying that Fibre 20 still has a 30Gb cap.

Virgin Media management – please can we have clarification.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Yorks27

Thanks for querying the changes and raising your confusion with us. We can confirm that there will be no charges for using above your cap and the notifications can be ignored. There was an issue with customers being charged but this has now been resolved with any incorrect charges being credited back.

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Many Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

M20 New Contract - Permanent Data Cap Removal?

I finally managed to get through to retentions to cancel / change my plan. The person I spoke to wasn't initially aware of the M20 (Fibre 20) cap being removed. Then after speaking to a manager she said it had been removed 'temporarily'. I told her that customers had received emails stating that it had been permanently removed. She said she couldn't promise the cap would not be re-instated during a new contract. I suggested if I signed up to a new M20 only contract for 12 months, then they decided to place a cap on data, then surely I would need to be notified and it would be a breach of my original contract, she couldn't answer that.

I have since received an email confirming my new contract, but when I log into my account, it is indeed showing data usage and pending surcharge when it is breeched. I guess this is something they just haven't updated on their system yet?

Robert_P can you confirm the cap will be lifted permanently for the duration of my new 12 month contract, and won't be imposed again at some point? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: M20 New Contract - Permanent Data Cap Removal?

Hi machineage,

I'm glad you've been able to speak to our team, and got the plan changed. 

Anyone who has been billed anything extra will be refunded, so don't worry about that.

At the moment, we can't give any particular end date for this. But if there are any changes, we will let you know.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa_F

Thanks for your reply.

Can you just clarify - for those like me who are singing up to a new 12 month M20 only contact, will the data cap removal be permanent for the duration of the contract?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No problem.

That's not something I can confirm at this moment in time, but if that changes, we'll let you know.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos