Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

150 retention more staff answering from home now during lockdown

Ofcom rules came into force on 15 February 2020 before lockdown and shortage of staff, to make sure you can see whether you’re on the best deal and not an automatic price rise. Virgin/Sky must inform you of their best deals, including any prices only available to new customers. Phone, broadband and pay-TV companies have to warn customers between 10 and 40 days before their contract comes to an end.

I don't know anyone who has received a new deal from Virgin under Ofcom rules but my contract is up shortly and I needed to give 30 days notice or renegotiate.

I phoned retention on 150 Virgin landline and to their credit they answered within 10 minutes. I explained the same thing I have been explaining annually for the past 20 years and in the end got their bigger bundle with movies for the same price I am paying now. When I got my contract the movies was for 6 months not 12 as promised but the price will go up in 6 months time. So I phoned Virgin back which again they answered within 15 minutes but was told only a manager can sort out my contract problem and he would email the manager who would phone me back before 9pm.

Four days later I am still waiting and gave them another call which was answered within 20 minutes only to be told the manager is aware and is listening to my previous phone conversations with the agent who gave me the contract and there is nothing retention can do until the manager phones me which I am still waiting for him to do.

For me at the moment getting through to retention isn't a problem as they have extra staff working from home. The real problem started when I received a contract that I didn't agree over the phone with a Virgin agent and trying to resolve it.

For a communication company Virgin does not make the annual contract negotiations process easy at the best of times for existing customers. I'm sure in the future if they wanted to make it as easy for existing customers as they do for new customers who can click and pick online they could and should instead of being forced into it by Ofcom. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 150 retention more staff answering from home now during lockdown

Out of interest what options would you press to get through to the retention team?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

your bill clearly tells you what its going to cost every month counting down to when it goes up.

Under Ofcom rules that would be covered as notifying you

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ Colder

The usual message has changed slightly but don't be put off I pressed 1-1- 4- 4- 2 then the security questions, then message saying you are in a queue and can take up to an hour, then the gawd awful music, then fingers crossed an agent should answer shortly asking the security questions again. Make sure you give them your number and insist they call you back if you get cut off. Messages are recorded apparently even though they are answering from home. Good luck.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ apcyberax

Ofcom rules say these alerts should be sent by text, email or letter, and they must include:

• when your contract is up;
  • what you’ve been paying until now, and what you’ll pay when your contract is up;
  • any notice period for leaving your provider; and
  • your provider’s best deals, including any prices only available to new customers.

My bill doesn't tell me all of that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

your bill tells you the top 3

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ apcyberax

Which means under Ofcom new rules the bill doesn't fully cover as you suggest and under the new rules customers need to be alerted by text, email or letter to include:  

• any notice period for leaving your provider; and
  • your provider’s best deals, including any prices only available to new customers.

Which was the whole point of me asking if anyone before or since lockdown has had a text, email or letter offering Virgins best deal for existing customers on renewal. 

0 Kudos