Menu
louiscar
Up to speed
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

14% Price rise - really????!!!

I got the email like everyone else saying my mere broadband (100 only) will go up by 3.50. The press quoted average rise is said to be 4%. Well you could have fooled me.

This rise (I am on a loyalty package 25.19) this represents 14%. If I were not on the loyalty package it would represent 10%. How is this even fair to someone like me who is already struggling. If the VM quoted "average rise of 4%" is anywhere near the truth then what it means is that pensioners like me are subsidising the richer subscribers paying a lot more. How is this fair??

Why does VM not just put 4% on our tarrif instead of making this 14% on lower tarrifs, which in normal times will come every 6  months (twice a year 14%) so I will see double this 25-28% a year when VM get back to their usual methods.

Besides this we have the worrying and trying time when we have to fight to get a loyalty discount and fight to sit on the phone for hours trying to get through. The stress in unbearable.

VM how heartless you are to force me and others like me struggling to pay such massive rises. Paying 36.00 (non loyalty) between 60-85 extra per year is pretty nasty.

I'm so disappointed and could really do without the stress this is going to cost me and in March not only do I have to pay 14% extra but have to try get my contract renewed and ask for a new loyalty deal (this March)  which often leads to a lot more stress especially with the covid situation probably making it impossible to contact you.

jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: 14% Price rise - really????!!!

on the phone today to one of our insurers. 21% increase on last years price. we have left them. their offer of coming down to a 15% increase was laughed back in their face.

virus or not though, companies are there to make money. they don't know individual circumstances. prices still went up in WW2.

haggling and or changing provider to something cheaper is the only answer.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@jamesofmerton wrote:
on the phone today to one of our insurers. 21% increase on last years price. we have left them. their offer of coming down to a 15% increase was laughed back in their face.

I have experienced several insurance renewals where, on calling in to cancel the auto-renewal, the retentions agent has either matched or come very close to, my "new policy" price with our new insurer.

Had they done that at point of quoting for a renewal, it would probably work. But if I've had to go to the trouble of shopping around, getting the new policy and then calling in.... sorry, too little too late!

This has happened with several insurers across different underwriters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

louiscar
Up to speed
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

With respect my post is nothing to  do with insurance companies - this is VM forum and is related to their (in my case 14% rise where they falsely claim it's only 4%)

There are other forums I'm sure for insurance - try Martin Lewis' site Money Saving expert

descarte8
Tuning in
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

When I rang up to try and cancel (impossible by the way) there was an automated reply telling me that a discount (of exactly the rise they added) would be deducted for the next 6? months.

So if people dont want to pay the rise, just ring up and you can automatically delay the cost increase for several months till you find an alternative supplier

0 Kudos
louiscar
Up to speed
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I don't have phone - only broadband so they wouldn't identify me automatically. Besides I need to talk to someone to be able to get a loyalty discount. If I can't do that I will have to leave as 40  quid is too much for simple broadband

0 Kudos
descarte8
Tuning in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I only have broadband too, they must have recognised the mobile number I was calling off....

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

You can call freephone number 0800 052 0422

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
louiscar
Up to speed
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

As with so many other companies (understandably) I expected problems getting through but thanks I'll give that a try on Monday.

Is that the retentions number?

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

Sorry, I'm afraid you won't like this answer, but there isn't a direct number for retentions,  that's the general contact number and you will need to select the option thinking of leaving us.

You need to be patient, perhaps try and contact VM earlier in the day  when calling. The best to call is between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or to a lesser degree late afternoon around tea time

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks