Menu
heronaddict
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

12 month introductory period ending

Hello everyone.

Apologies if this has been asked countless times before.

My 12 months M200 deal at £34 a month is soon coming to an end.

I have just called and was very quickly offered the same deal for another 18 months and was very tempted to just say yes straight away.

Service has always been reliable and speeds are way better than anything else available in my area.

I appreciate that everyone has different experiences from retentions with offers etc but my question is would it be incredibly lazy/foolish to take what they first offer ?

Should I go through the motions of leaving and await the phone calls from retentions to begin ?

What would the very lowest I could expect to pay anyway ?

Again, apologies for what may be an oft repeated question & thanks in advance

T

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 12 month introductory period ending

Check on Uswitch for what you'd pay with other ISPs, making any adjustment you see fit for the speed offered. 

I don't wish to be critical, but for the benefit of anybody else reading this, it always pays to do your research before calling VM to negotiate a new deal.  That's because (a) you know what the field looks like when you're discussing with the agent what they can do for you, and (b) retentions deals don't sit on the table whilst you go away to think about it.  Just because you were offered £34 last time you called, the next time you speak to them there's no obligation on company or agent to offer you the same price.  In many instances the agents will insist that deal wasn't available, or shouldn't have been offered, and sometimes that's true, other times it is probably because their performance bonuses are built up party by retaining customers, partly by not giving away discounts too easily.

Personally I'd have had their hand off for that deal, you now need to speak to them again and hope that the agent you speak to this time can and will offer you the same deal.  I doubt you'll get it lower, but I can't say that as a fact.  You could try cancelling and hoping for an outbound retentions call, but if you've refused £34 a month, then you're already way below VM's average revenue per user of £52 a month, and potentially they won't go lower, and might even conclude that a retentions call is a waste of time.  And if you cancel, but have no intention of leaving, if the retention call doesn't come then you need to phone in to cancel the cancellation, and probably accept whatever they are willing to offer pricewise, as your leverage is suddenly reduced to zero.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

heronaddict
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Andrew G

I did call back this morning and was offered £32 pcm 18 months which I said okay to *

Not because I think it is a great deal ( personally I wanted to switch to BT which would have worked out half the price) but my wife didn't like the idea of any disruption/interruption.

(* I know I could have gone down the whole I'm leaving and await calls etc and perhaps got it cheaper, but answering calls is not always convenient for me)

Regards 

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @heronaddict

Thank you for your post regarding how to access the best deals available to you as an existing customer.

I'm very glad to hear you will be staying with us 🙂

If there's anything else we can do, please let us know.

Thanks

Serena

0 Kudos