Menu
alsie42
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

trying to connect home phone

I have a phone and internet package with a Hub 3.0

I use my original BT socket to connect my home phone that works OK

It would be more convenient to use the the phone connection on the back of the hub as I could have the phone near me, rather than having to answer it in another room.

I have used the cable adapter and plugged it into the grey port 1 at the back of the Hub and can't even get a dialing tone, what am I doing wrong? or do I need to notify Virgin to set it up to work, any help/advice would be appreciated  

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: trying to connect home phone

Hello

If you are using a standard phone socket then the hub will not have an enabled phone socket, which is why you are not getting a dial tone, it is either the hub or a standard phone socket not both. How long have you have the phone service from Virginmedia.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
alsie42
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I had an original contract with BT phones, I then switched to Telewest (Blueyonder) along with a new phone number, it must have been at least 20 years ago, that has obviously gone and my phone/internet then ended up with Virgin who I have been with ever since.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

So that means that your phone line comes in with the older twisted pair cable, and isn't telephone over the hub. So at this point you will not be able to use the hub, if you wait a VM staff member can add comment if you will be able to get the line through the hub, but be aware that you will loose all of the standard telephone sockets in the process, and if the internet is down so is the phone line.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi alsie42, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.  I'm sorry to hear of your inconvenience with your landline. 

Before we go down the route of getting your phone up and running via your hub.  Is there any reason in the past given as to why you could not have an extension at your preferred location?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
alsie42
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

From where my point is in relationship to my router, is 3 rooms away, and with fitted carpets I don't want to pull them up, or lay a long length of exposed cable, having it near my PC and Router set up would be a lot simpler (if it would work) that's the only reason I would like to use the hub

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming alsie42 and I'm guessing the option of the duel/triple packs of cordless phones is a non-starter?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
alsie42
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Correct, I don't want to go to the expense of double/triple phones, I don't use land lines very often, make more use of mobile, but its still nice to have a land line if mobile signal goes down 

0 Kudos
alsie42
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My old phone line is as you describe, I don't have a problem using the hub even if internet goes down, I have a mobile with unlimited data that I can use. 

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Alsie42

To look into the possibility of converting your connection, I would need to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos