Menu
teejayph
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

trueCall requirements

Hi. I have just purchased a trueCall unit to help combat phone scams on my landline.

In order for it to work, I need to:

Have incoming caller id working and also

Turn off the Virgin voicemail service.

Caller id isn't working - every call from any source is reported as "incoming number is unavailable". I don't have a phone with a display, so have never before seen whether caller id was working or not.

As to voicemail, I don't think I can disable Virgin voicemail myself?

Can caller id be turned on (and if it's supposed to be on already, help!) and can Virgin voicemail be turned off on my landline please, if that is possible?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: trueCall requirements

Congratulations on the trueCall purchase. I've used mine for nearly a year and it has dealt 100% with all my scam/spam calls.

The VM forum team will have to turn on caller ID for you (if it is actually off) and turn off voicemail too. They will get to this post within a week or so but are usually quicker.

By way of a heads-up, there have been some past mentions on the forum of trueCall not correctly interpreting the VM caller ID (due to differences across the VM phone network) on some customers' lines.

The fix for this seems to be to get in touch with trueCall and they can remotely dial into your device and tweak the configuration to respond to the particular VM caller ID on your line if needs be. (Mentioned in a past topic at the link below)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Caller-ID-on-landline-showing-unavailable/m-p/445249...

You might save yourself some time if you can borrow a phone with a caller ID display (from a friend, family, neighbour) and just quickly test whether caller ID does show up on that. You would then know if caller ID is actually missing on your line or whether you need to ask trueCall to tweak the device itself.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good Evening teejayph,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums

I'll be happy to assist you with the changes you need to make to the landline services

Please check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

teejayph
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks goslow. Sounds like if I can get it working, it will do what I want. Having had three spam calls in one hour today alone, tether ends have been reached.

I've had a pm from Virgin, and hopefully they can help me with what I need. I've also, in light of your helpful info, contacted trueCall to ask what, if anything, they might need to do to the unit.

Fingers crossed I don't have to send it back to Amazon! I have 30 days and the clock starts...now...

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You won't need to do anything yourself if the trueCall caller ID needs tweaking. As I understand it, trueCall support remotely 'dial in' and do the tweak to suit your line. This would only apply once you have confirmed caller ID is actually working on the line but if the trueCall still isn't responding to it. I'd still recommend you check with a caller ID display phone to be sure (so you can see the caller ID number on the phone screen before setting up the trueCall).

If you happen to get your VM phone connection via the back of the VM hub, do NOT tell trueCall you have a VOIP connection (because that method of connection via the hub isn't actually VOIP and it will just confuse trueCall support). I have never had to do the dial-in process myself but I would guess trueCall will just need your phone number to access the unit.

My other tips for setup would be to check what the time setting is for the 'weblink' function (which is where the unit 'phones home' periodically to link to the trueCall server to update the online control panel). There has been a past mention on the forum of a user getting call charges for this when the device was dialling out, outside of the VM 'free' time on the landline. Just set it up so it dials out at a time when the free calls apply on your line. You can set it to once per week if you just have VM weekend calls on your phone package.

The weblink is free for year 1 after purchase but costs £20 per year after that. Once you have got the device set up and programmed, you may not need weblink after that. I just program my unit via the phone handset menus which is easy to do.

My other suggestion would be to look at the custom responses where you can set the way the device behaves individually for each type of call (rather than the different pre-set options). It is a bit more flexible if you need to fine tune the device. Go for the option for unknown callers where they have to say who they are and press a button to get through. That is the most secure way of keeping out the scam calls because the automatic scam diallers cannot respond to the button press command so they are reliably blocked.

Program in a few friends and family contacts into the device and they will get through uninterrupted once you have caller ID running correctly.

For ongoing use, I'd recommend you get a phone which does have a screen to show caller display. I have mine set up to use the trueCall as an answering machine and I have turned off the 'Missed Call Reporting' feature of the device which I found a bit annoying. I have the phone set to show missed calls so, if I am away and a call goes to trueCall answering machine, then it is recorded there and the number is shown on the phone display which is nice and easy to see and know who any messages are from (without having to listen to them first!).

Hopefully you’ll get the caller ID sorted and you’ll soon be enjoying scammer-free telephone use once more.

Post back here if you have any further queries about using it. I think it's a fantastic device which has been really well thought out and designed to deal with the scourge of the scam callers.

0 Kudos
teejayph
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, just to update, in case anyone else buys one of these trueCall thingies, and again, thanks to goslow for the comprehensive advice and explanations.

Turned out I did have caller id enabled on my Virgin line. That was a red herring. I contacted trueCall, they confirmed they needed to configure the trueCall unit remotely to "understand" Virgin landlines. They did that in two minutes flat and the unit now works as it should.

In their manual it says you need to turn off your provider's voicemail. I didn't get that far - it actually works as it should even with the Virgin voicemail still on, and when you configure it on the online control panel it says you don't actually need to turn it off, you just change one number in the settings to a nine.

So that was fine too, though conflicting. Ignore what the manual says about that, therefore.

I spent some time playing with the customisation and other settings - it's certainly powerful in terms of how calls can be handled, and it all seems to be working as I wanted. 

So to get this rather funky device working you just buy the unit, plug it in, contact trueCall support telling them you have a Virgin landline, they configure it, done, it all works.  Great stuff.

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's very good news @teejayph. Thanks for feeding back the outcome to the forum. It will be very useful to refer anyone else with the same problem to your post for the required fix.

Ref the VM voicemail, I think this is just a matter of the delay time before the VM voicemail kicks in. If you have the longest delay set on VM voicemail (which I think is about 30 sec) then the trueCall device will cut in and start screening the call as long as the trueCall is set to respond within a shorter time. If the response time of the trueCall and VM voicemail are closely matched then the two will be competing for which grabs the call first!

Good luck with the ongoing use of it. You may possibly need to do some further fine-tuning until it is perfect but, if your set up works in the same way as mine, you can now start enjoying some scammer-free quiet time!

0 Kudos