Menu
Cats_cara
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

security breach call

Hi has anyone had a early morning phone call stating they are at present having a security breach,  then being talked through to download quick security then asked to give them id number? 

0 Kudos
AnRi1
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: security breach call / scam

Yes I received 2 automated calls this morning telling me my internet would be disconnected in the next 24 or 48 hours due to illegal activities. It asked to press 1 to speak so I could speak to someone from my internet provider.  I ignored that and put the phone down. The first call had a UK number which I copied and will be happy to share with Virgin. The other came from a number withheld. Beware of scam?

dianabrst
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've just had to disconnect my home phone as I've had four calls today purporting to be from Virgin Media.   Four different people with 4 different approaches. Really unsettling because only one person knows my number apart from Virgin Media. I've got free calls at weekends but am scared to use the telephone now in case someone is able to take over my telephone line or something...???  I told the first caller that it was obviously a scam and that I would report them but that didn't stop the other three calls.   We are apparently supposed to make an online claim to the police via Action Fraud but I doubt if they are going to protect my telephone number. And surely Virgin Media should be doing something about allowing all our numbers to be attacked this way?  As I can see that quite a few unfortunate people have actually been scammed...  The only good thing is that these people don't know our names or account numbers.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello dianabrst

Sorry you have had a few calls that were unwanted 

When a number is blocked that Scammers use, They can easily set up a new one 

straight away 

But please dont worry they are not able to hijack your line at all

You can register for the Telephone preference service to help reduce some calls 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It is unlikely the scammers ‘know’ your number. These calls are typically generated by auto-diallers, calling hundreds of numbers until they make a connection. Unfortunately, once they have made contact, you will continue to get more.

You should consider getting a call blocking/screening device such as trueCall, CPR Call Blocker or one of the cordless phone ranges with screening features.

You'll have noticed that the caller ID numbers are fake and different for each call so the very simple phones which only block individual numbers are of little use.

In the meantime, hanging up immediately and not engaging with them is the best approach.

0 Kudos