Menu
Highlighted
NeilMac59
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

"The number you have dialled has not been recognised"

I get this message whenever I dial my aunt and uncle in Bristol. However other people can call them using their landlines and I can call them using my mobile.

I believe that the majority of the phone numbers in the Bristol area are "owned" by BT but their number is in a group (0117959) which I believe is owned by Virgin.

This problem has come up before and seems to have been due to an issue at the exchange between BT and Virgin.

They can live without phone calls from me but have the same problem with calls from the hospital where my uncle receives treatment - which is obviously much more serious and which they cannot afford to miss.

They do not use the internet so who do my aunt and uncle need to contact to get it fixed? 

Many thanks

Neil

P.S. I should have mentioned that I get my landline via Virgin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: "The number you have dialled has not been recognised"

Hi there @NeilMac59

Welcome to our Community and for your first post to our forums; I am sorry that you're having some issues calling your family. 

Can I ask if you are in the same dialling code as your family and if so, are you able to call them if you use the dialling code or do you have the same issue? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
NeilMac59
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No - I am in South London and they are in Bristol so I have to use the area code.

Other family members living near me and with a BT phone can dial them OK and, as I said, I can call them on my mobile.

Neil

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks @NeilMac59

What I'll do is pop you a Private Message so we can take some information from you and take the telephones numbers so we can do some checks and see if the issue is at our end or not 🙂 

Look out for the purple envelope and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
NeilMac59
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Katie - I have replied to your PM.

Neil

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cheers Neil - I have popped you a reply 🙂 

And in regards to the link you have provided - it very well may be the same issue; once we have passed security on PM, we can do some investigation for you!

Thanks!

Katie - Forum Team

NeilMac59
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks to Katie.

I am not clear on the cause of the problem but whatever was done has fixed it for both me and several other people who were unable to contact my aunt and uncle.

Neil

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear it @NeilMac59 - thanks so much for popping back to our main feed with your update; we always appreciate it 🙂 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos