cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

potential crossed line/call charges

onceuponatime1
Joining in

Hi, I seem to be having a problem where I'm being charged for calls I've not made. I've searched this problem on here and it seems that others have had this problem too. I started being charged for these calls in the last couple of weeks. I know openreach have been in the area a couple weeks ago I think upgrading the fibre network and I saw them up the telephone pole across from my house, so maybe they've done something. Either way I'm being charged for someone elses calls. I don't even have a landline phone plugged in to the socket.

Can someone help with this please.

8 REPLIES 8

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @onceuponatime1
Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your landline at the moment, the works being carried out by BT wouldn't have had any affect as we dont use the telegraph poles for our services, your phone service with us would be connected by underground cable, this maybe an issue with the green street cabinet, that I can look into further from here and then arrange a technician to come out to the cabinet to check for any issues. I will look into this further for you but would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @onceuponatime1.
I have arranged the appointment, and you can track your engineer appointments online. Simply sign into My Virgin Media and you will see your appointments on your account dashboard. However, this can take up to 24 hours to be updated. 
Regards,
Steven_L

Hi thanks for arranging the engineer. The engineer came yesterday and checked the green boxes in the area and said he couldn't find a problem with them, he said the problem is at the other end and someone has made a mistake at virgin end and crossed my line with someone elses. Can somone sort this because more calls are being made and I'm worried what my bills are going to be. There shouldn't be any call charges at all as I do not have a landline plugged in. The only reason I have the landline service is because it was part of a package and was cheaper than just having broadband on it's own. I wish I would have just had broadband only now. My bill should be 57 pounds per month and that's it, no more.

I want this situation rectifying as soon as possible.

@onceuponatime1 wrote:

Hi thanks for arranging the engineer. The engineer came yesterday and checked the green boxes in the area and said he couldn't find a problem with them, he said the problem is at the other end and someone has made a mistake at virgin end and crossed my line with someone elses. Can somone sort this because more calls are being made and I'm worried what my bills are going to be. There shouldn't be any call charges at all as I do not have a landline plugged in. The only reason I have the landline service is because it was part of a package and was cheaper than just having broadband on it's own. I wish I would have just had broadband only now. My bill should be 57 pounds per month and that's it, no more.

I want this situation rectifying as soon as possible.

Phantom call charges get regular mentions on here. They often follow particular patterns of calling/charging.

Are your bills showing what numbers are being called and what the pattern of calling is? Or are the calls all contained in VM's sub-50p category so you don't see the individual phantom calls itemised?

Typical patterns of phantom calling include things like

• Multiple calls to random numbers (numbers unknown to the customer)
  • Multiple calls of very short/long duration (i.e. not call durations that a person would make)
  • Calls of exactly the same duration each time (multiple calls of exactly one minute have been mentioned in the past)
  • Multiple calls at all hours of the day and night
  • Calls to specific numbers (an 0123 number has been mentioned before)
  • Calls to the speaking clock
  • Calls to premium rate numbers
  • Calls to certain chargeable 08# numbers

Do your bills identify anything like the above?

Hi, yeah I can see the numbers that are being called and the date, but not the times of the calls. My bill what is due soon just has one call charge and it looks like my own number has called its self and I've been charged for it? When I go into my "upcoming charges" for next months bill, I can see the numbers are the same area code as where I live and is mostly the same number being called, but from yesterday the number 0123 000 0000 has been called quite a few times and when I googled than number I found people talking about it being a scam and found virgin customers also saying that they have been billed for that number aswellm but havn't actually called that number. It's all a bit weird.

The 0123 000 0000 number charges are all 0.26 pence and the ones which are my area code are mostly random cost.

@onceuponatime1 wrote:

Hi, yeah I can see the numbers that are being called and the date, but not the times of the calls. My bill what is due soon just has one call charge and it looks like my own number has called its self and I've been charged for it? When I go into my "upcoming charges" for next months bill, I can see the numbers are the same area code as where I live and is mostly the same number being called, but from yesterday the number 0123 000 0000 has been called quite a few times and when I googled than number I found people talking about it being a scam and found virgin customers also saying that they have been billed for that number aswellm but havn't actually called that number. It's all a bit weird.

Yes, those are all the features of a phantom call topic.

Local numbers being called and the 0123 number has been mentioned on past topics on here.

More investigation by VM is required and you should be due a refund of all the phantom call charges.

VM clearly must know what is going on for this type of issue (because the same patterns and descriptions of the problem have been repeated many times over on here) but, needless to say, an admission/explanation from VM rarely ever finds its way back into the public domain on the forum.

Hi @onceuponatime1, thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sorry to hear your landline and therefore, your billing issue has not been resolved.  I would love to take a closer look. I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R