Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

porting telephone number to virgin

I signed up to virgin internet and telephone and was told I could keep my landline number. Installation day came and I was given another telephone number. I was told by the engineer that I needed to call customer services and ask for my telephone number to be ported from my old provider.  I called them and they took all the details and said my number would change over on sept 13th. This did not happen. I have called customer services and they said the porting process hadn't gone through as the old provider had let number go. What can I do to get my telephone number back do I need to cancel Vm and go back to my old provider?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: porting telephone number to virgin

To keep your number you must not cancel the old service until the number has been ported, if you do cancel the number will go into the pool and will not be retrievable, even if you went back to your old service the number would still be gone 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Danny for your reply but unfortunately my Vodafone line was cancelled on the 2nd of September and the porting should have happened on the 13th of September. What can I do to get my old phone number back?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The number has gone back into the pool,I don't think it can be retrieved 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Danny

Thank you for your reply. I recognise what you say about you don't think it can be retrieved. I have now looked at a number of replies on this forum by people with the same problem. Other employees have followed this up and have solved the problem. Can you please ask within your office how others have managed this. I would be grateful if you could reply as soon as you are able.

Kind regards 

Trevor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't work for Virgin I'm just a customer like yourself, a Member of the Virgin team will get to you with in a day or two

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Teacher_trev,

Sorry to hear that your number wasn't ported over to us.To port a landline number, it must be active and if we've tried to port your number but the Losing Provider (Vodafone) has ceased the line, it means that the port will fail.

Just to be sure about the facts, I'm going to send you a Private Message to check the number in question.

Please reply back to it so I can have a look.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've been told today, after weeks of trying,  that Virgin dont allow you to transfer numbers across accounts, that i can i like it lump it. That would have been fine so long as i hadnt been promised that it was possible when i opened my account.

I've wasted countless hours on the phone with advisors (most of our on hold) talking to a call centre based in India where, as well-meaning as they may be, they have no clue, such poor training and so difficult to communicate through their thick Indian accents.

The only native English speakers i came across are in sales to give the (rather deceitful) impression that advisors are based in the UK.

On multiple occasions I've had the phone hung up on me because I've gotten frustrated or might have asked a difficult question (does no one monitior this? Clearly Virgin thinks it's okay for their call handlers to just hang up on customers ...its becoming routine)

I have wasted so many days on the phone now being transferred from department to department of incompetent people, told outright lies to fob me off, given misleading information, told id get a callback only to never hear from that person again.

I even had a call from the "chief exec's office" .... only to never hear from that person again. So i guess it really is leading by example. They call from a non-specific number so it's impossible for you to call anyone back.

No one takes ownership of an issue and the customer is like a ping pong ball getting batted around one clueless department to another (I've literally had an advisor say"i don't know why I've been passed this to call you...")!

I've had 3 routers in the past week without any guidance necessitating a change in all my family's passwords and on all the other gadgets in the house, the family are soo annoyed, i could cry at the number of times I've put in this awkward password into various devices. And I've not even got round to changing my number at the doctors and kids' schools, the vet, the gas and electric company etc. yet.

On top of this, apparently Virgin only offer telephone lines that plug into the router to new customers. This means if your internet goes down (frequently the case with Virgin I've found) then your phone goes dead- you can't call the Emergency services, no ambulance, police or fire fighters. Cheers Virgin, I'll just burn to death. And yes- you came install an emergency backup line- but guess what.... bingo! - it doesn't work. And when i tried to call to tell you, i had to give up after waiting on hold for 40 minutes.

Moral if the story: avoid Virgin if you want to take your phone number across with you....
and God help you if you need any help through customer services.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar position.

Wish I'd never left Sky.

0 Kudos