Menu
smariemac
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

please can someone contact me - I need Virgin to contact OpenReach to ask for a number porting order.

I moved to Virgin Media and was told I could cancel my original provider (phone and broadband) within 24 hours of Virgin arranging my phone number to be ported over.  I did this and then was told that Virgin could no longer port my old phone number (so had duff advice from Virgin call centre).  I then phoned BT who said my old phone number is still not in use so they suggested I contact OpenReach.  OpenReach have said that if Virgin contact them to ask for a 'number porting order', I can get my old phone number back.  I have tried various other ways of getting Virgin to do this so hoping that an actual person can get back to me and fix this.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: please can someone contact me - I need Virgin to contact OpenReach to ask for a number porting order.

you can not port a number of a canceled or line with cancelation on it.
If the number has been canceled it can't be ported.

you shouldn't have canceled it would have canceled automatically when the number port completed
0 Kudos
smariemac
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: please can someone contact me - I need Virgin to contact OpenReach to ask for a number porting order.

I'm quoting from OpenReach who said to me in writing and on the phone to me that this can happen, and they've looked into my exact details so can definitely happen for me - they said they've had problems with Virgin in the past as some people at Virgin don't know the process, but if Virgin contact OpenReach about my account and ask for a number porting order, they can transfer the number as it's still not been allocated to anyone else.  I really need someone from Virgin to contact me in the first instance to get this fixed, and this forum was recommended by OpenReach as they know the call centre doesn't have the expertise to do this.

Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: please can someone contact me - I need Virgin to contact OpenReach to ask for a number portin...

HI Smariemac, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having trouble porting your number over to us due to the account being closed with your previous provider. 

As advised the account the number is coming from will need to remain active for the number to come over, however we can have a closer look and see what we can do. 

Therefore I'll pop you a personal message and take some details and we'll take it from there. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
smariemac
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: please can someone contact me - I need Virgin to contact OpenReach to ask for a number portin...

I always meant to respond so that anyone in a similar situation knew the outcome - this all got handled offline via private messaging with Virgin and I did get my old phone number back.  By contacting Openreach, you can check if your old number has still not been allocated to someone else and if that’s the case, ask Virgin to contact Openreach to ask for a number porting order. Took a few weeks but it worked!

Toffipavlova
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Who ever helped you by contacting Open Reach, I really need them to contact me too.  Virgin don't seem to have a clue and keep trying to portal to an account that is closed.  I also have been told to get Virgin to contact Open reach for me as only the company can do this. Please I need help from anyone at Virgin that knows how to do this.? 

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Toffipavlova, 

Thank you for your post 🙂

we can certainly help you get this sorted can you please advise if you know the number you wish to port over is still active?

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
csi-cctv
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media are telling me that this cant be done, but obviously it can as it has been completed on this feed.

my number has been released by sky and not ported to virgin, I have asked virgin to request a number porting order from openreach but they tell me its not possible and the number is now lost and they cant do anything.

Quite clerly thats not the case !!

I need someone who actually can do this for me from Virgin to contact me ASAP 

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello csi-cctv, 

Thanks for your post 

Can I please ask if the Open Reach account is still active 

For any numbers porting in or out we need both accounts to still be active for a minimum of 10 days once the request has been made 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
csi-cctv
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

the number was with sky and has been cancelled and released back to openreach so is not active !

I understand what your saying, but there are people on here on this feed where this has still been resolved by Virgin contacting Openreach and asking for a Number Porting Order

0 Kudos