Menu
pilot2244
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

phone stopped working this year, no tone, no calls. worked fine up till the new year, 2020.

I noticed that we never got any calls from friends and family. Done usual checks with hub etc, no joy. The phone was connected from phone hub to wall socket. Noticed that all line connect via adaptor to hub 3. Never got adaptor so cannot try the new way to connect. What do I do. I have Gigaset 850 phones that can use VOIP but do not know how to connect with Virgin VOIP.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: phone stopped working this year, no tone, no calls. worked fine up till the new year, 2020.

Can't easily understand your previous telephone set up, when you had it working, from your post.

When it was working, was your telephone plugged into the 'TEL 1' socket on the back of the Hub 3 or was it plugged into a normal telephone socket on the wall?

When you log into the Hub 3, what does it show for 'Telephony' on the welcome page (options are something like 'Ready' in green or 'Disabled' and greyed out).

Try below to check service status and faults on your connection

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-line-faults

The Virgin Media telephone service uses an ordinary telephone either plugged into the back of the hub via an adapter or via a normal telephone wall socket.

0 Kudos
pilot2244
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: phone stopped working this year, no tone, no calls. worked fine up till the new year, 2020.

the phone is a gigaset850. the phone hub was connected to the virgin wall socket, 2 wire cable to wall socket. a cable connected to phone hub to the Hub 3 into port 1on the yellow connections. hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
pilot2244
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have connected my Sky box to the wall socket and it connects. The fault is obviously the phones. The batteries were shot and i supplied new ones and fully charged them. But i cannot make the phones connect. Its possible that they are at fault. I have done all in the Gigaset manuals but no joy. I might buy new phones if unable to fix problem. Thanks.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You seem to have answered your own question.

If your phone is the 'S850A GO' model then this is a dual analogue and VOIP model. According to the manual the analogue connection is cabled from the back of the base station unit and that would connect to the Virgin wall socket. If that model is correct, you can download the manuals here https://www.gigaset.com/hq_en/gigaset-s850a-go/

I am assuming your are trying to make/receive calls on your VM landline via the wall socket.

For simplicity, and to test the connection, plug in another different, simple, corded phone into the telephone wall socket and see if you get a dial tone and can call out and also receive calls. If you don't have a corded phone, see if you can borrow one from a friend/neighbour/family member. You will then know if your analogue phone line is fully working or not for calls in/out.

The VOIP setup is different. The RJ45 connection, which appears to be on the side of the phone base station, plugs into one of the network sockets on the back of the Virgin Media hub. However, if you want to use VOIP calls you need to be set up with an IP telephony service. I don't know how well (or if) the VM hubs work for VOIP calling or if additional configuration on the Hub 3 is required.

Pages 17/18 of the English version of the manual describe how to set the default send/receive methods for the phone (VOIP or analogue). It seems as if analogue is the default dial out method. There is also a setup for received calls so, if you are not receiving calls, you should maybe look at how this part is set up to see how the phone is processing incoming calls.

Either you have a faulty phone or a line fault which is preventing you from receiving incoming calls or you need some help with the setup/config of your phone. The first check with a simple corded phone should confirm if your analogue line is working or not for calls in/out.

0 Kudos