Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

phone doesn't ring when my truecall connected.

I have just installed the Virgin kit sent to me. I have a problem when receiving phone calls with the truecall connected, which is that the phone doesn't ring out. The truecall flashes red as it supposed to but when I pick the phone up there is no dial tone, and there is no number and phone icon on the phone screen. I tried doing a Virgin Media check on their site but I got the message that there is no phone! The phone works ok without the truecall fitted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: phone doesn't ring when my truecall connected.

Hi truecall_user,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the Truecall service? Have you spoken to them regarding this? Are there additional services they might need activated?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked that Virgin Media voicemail is turned off (and is not interfering with the call before the trueCall device has processed the call)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi goslow, thanks for replying. I checked with Virgin media and the voicemail is not activated. Regards Ian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Further thoughts would be:

Is the VM landline phone connection provided via the back of the hub (a 21CV connection)?

If so, are you connecting the trueCall direct into the hub via the adapter (not via any phone extension sockets around the home)?

Is the caller ID service working normally when just the phone is plugged in?

When you ring into your VM landline number from your mobile (with both phone and trueCall connected) what messages does the trueCall announce to indicate how it is processing the call? (The trueCall response will depend if you have added your mobile number to the 'star' list or have left it as 'unknown'. You might have to try both)

Do you have access to the trueCall 'Internet Control Panel' (their online subscription service where you can see all calls coming in/out of the device and how they are being processed)? That might also give some clues as to what is happening? (If you are not using the 'Internet Control Panel' service, that should have no adverse effect on the operation of the unit.)

If none of the above sheds any light, you may need to speak to trueCall direct. I believe they are able to 'dial-in' to the device, if required, for troubleshooting.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian, 

I'm sorry your Truecaller app doesn't seem to be working, as you've said the line works fine without the app, this would confirm the device is causing the issue- sadly we're not able to assist with 3rd party equipment.

It would advise in our terms and conditions here under section C in phoneline, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes I am connecting the truecall and phone in line from the back of the hub using the adaptor supplied. There is a Virgin Media socket in the wall but doesnt seem live. The caller ID is on when the just the phone is connected. My mobile is starred and gives this message on the Truecall internet control panel 'Star list caller / Ring direct / Hung up during ringing'. I will try to get truecall to check the link. thanks for comments

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The lights on the unit and the info. in the internet control panel suggest the unit is accepting and processing the call correctly.

See what trueCall support can tell you about the issue.

It would be worth asking them if the trueCall unit requires a ringing capacitor in the short VM adapter cable which goes into the back of the VM hub in order to generate the ringing signal in the trueCall unit. The BT plug on my own trueCall device does have 4 pins present which may just be a typical domestic phone cable or may suggest the need for the ringing capacitor on pin 3. I would have expected the trueCall unit would be able to generate its own ringing signal to the connected phone.

The default VM adapter cable would probably not have a ringing capacitor as most modern phones do not require this but perhaps the trueCall device does.

Hopefully trueCall will be able to get it working for you. It would be interesting to know the outcome for anyone else posting on the forum in the future.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so I sent a message to Truecall support, (this is found on the internet control panel). Given a ticket for the problem and then a call from one of the support team. Turns out the problem is that Openreach type calls use voltage to control ringing, however Virgin is VOIP which uses the call itself to ring the phone. The software at their end was changed and now it works. Thanks to all for help on this. 🙂

Highlighted
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's good news. Thanks for feeding back the outcome to the forum. It will be useful info. for anyone else with a similar issue in the future. Glad they managed to sort it out for you.

0 Kudos