Menu
Kimmyg
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

number not recognised

I have had a Simi only for 2 months and since then I have 2 contacts who are both on Virgin that when they try to call me they get number not recognised. Virginia have replaced my Sim today and they still can't get through?  no problems with any other contacts

0 Kudos
Kimmyg
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: number not recognised

That should have said Virgin not Virginia sorry.

Also my voicemail is working but can't enable this on phone settings as it doesn't recognise the voicemail number.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Kimmyg,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into. 

Have you asked the contacts that are having problems to check the number is definitely correct? Usually changing the SIM will rectify most problems which brings me to believe it may be their phones that are having problems. I would also ask if they have had issues with other numbers as well. 

For your voicemail I will need to PM you so we can chat securely about account specifics, but let me know the info about the above before we do this.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Kimmyg
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan

Thanks for your reply. My son can now contact me only if he does +44708950054 and then it connects. He doesn't have trouble calling anyone else.I have one other contact also on Virgin that cannot connect to me it says number not recognised.

The voicemail settings on my phone doesn't recognise the voicemail number that is set but my voicemail is activated and works.

Also a few numbers that I dial I get an awful hissing whilst its ringing.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Kimmyg,

Thanks for replying. If the number is not recognised then it would be from the handset dialling, especially if the phone is requiring the country code +44 prefix. The best advice would be to delete the numbers from their phone memories and re-add it, or attempt to dial the number without the phone number already being stored in memory.

The same thing may also be occurring with your voicemail, your phone is not storing your voicemail number correctly, What is the make/model of your handset?

Cheers

Corey C

0 Kudos
Kimmyg
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

Thanks. My son did delete me as a contact, then re-added me and that still didn't work. I'm not so bothered about that problem now as he does seem to be able to call me but I will see if he can get through to me by just dialling my number.

My phone is Samsung Galaxy S9. When I'm entering the number voicemail settings which I have as +447458333222. The message I get is

'Something went wrong. Check your SIM card or Network connection then try again?'

This is my 2nd (replacement SIM) so I can't imagine it is the SIM. The strange thing is that my voicemail is activated and set up so I am getting alerts for voicemails, it's just my phone settings that are disabled and won't allow me to set the number??

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, Kimmyg

That does sound a bit odd, I would almost have to say that your mobile might need to be reset. Are you able to check if the SIM information is displaying in the phone's status menu? Go to:

Settings>About Phone>Status>SIM Card Status. Once you are in there check that the Network is showing and the Service State is showing 'inservice'

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Kimmyg
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes that is all showing and correct?

It is very weird as my voicemail is working?

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, which unfortunately would indicate something with how the phone is connecting to the mailbox, you shouldn't have to edit the mailbox number. If you do have an alternate mobile, I would say try putting the SIM in that handset to get confirmation that it is the handset, otherwise it would have to be a factory reset that's required. 

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Kimmyg
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Corey. I can't try the SIM anywhere else. I don't really want to do a factory reset. As my voicemail is working fine, then I will leave this alone for now and perhaps once things get back to a bit of normality then I will pop into a phone shop. Thanks for all your advice anyway.

0 Kudos