cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new system unworkable

FDriver
Tuning in

Hi,
   Unfortunately, the new system of plugging our telephone/ landline into our router may prove unworkable for us and poses quite a few serious questions. 
   Some of these questions are...
        If our electricity develops a fault, whether by power-outage or 'pre-pay meter' breakdown/ lack of credit, how are we supposed to contact the electric company/ supplier/ repairman if we no longer have a  working telephone/ landline?  The same question could be asked if our router/ broadband breaks down.  How can we phone Virgin?
        Also, we have a 'wired' extension going from the telephone socket in the hall to the bedroom in which we have just bought a new wired phone, this will no longer work and will prove yet more inconvenience and expense.
         At 71yrs of age, I wonder why would people want to be 'left out on a limb' because of an unreliable phone system that could fail at any time due to several different circumstances.  A telephone/ landline socket produces it's own power and therefore doesn't need household electricity or broadband to work.
        I like your broadband, but this new telephone/ landline system is like a minefield, and it's this that makes me wonder if it's worth carrying on paying for a Virgin telephone/ landline package.  I will try the new system, but if it fails to meet our requirements the we will terminate the agreement we've enjoyed for years.
   Many thanks for reading.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for coming back to us FDriver, please give it a go and then let us know how you get on with it and if you need a hub replacement, we can arrange that from here.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @FDriver,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you have some apprehension surrounding the change of landline services. I'm afraid that this is something that is gradually being rolled out across the UK and as such is being done by all providers.

Have you already been switched over? We have some more information here, but let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi,
  Thanks for your fast reply.  Yes I've just completed the new set-up but it now means I have to get another 'cordless' phone for the bed as the extension no longer works.  Lets see how it goes, but I think we may have to get a new router soon too as our white router used to have a white light on the front of it but it is slowly changing to red.

Cheers,

Thanks for coming back to us FDriver, please give it a go and then let us know how you get on with it and if you need a hub replacement, we can arrange that from here.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi,
    Many thanks for that info.  Appreciated 🙂

Cheers 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@FDriver wrote:

Hi,
  Thanks for your fast reply.  Yes I've just completed the new set-up but it now means I have to get another 'cordless' phone for the bed as the extension no longer works.  Lets see how it goes, but I think we may have to get a new router soon too as our white router used to have a white light on the front of it but it is slowly changing to red.

Cheers,

There are some curious omissions from the VM forum team in their replies. I can't tell if they are intentional or accidental.

They have failed to mention that VM should offer to rewire telephone extension sockets for you free of charge as part of the switchover process and connect them to the hub so your extension sockets still work.

Also, if you do not have access to a mobile phone and consider yourself vulnerable, then VM should offer you an emergency backup phone to run with the 21CV connection. This is a battery powered phone that works on the mobile network using a conventional handset. It automatically cuts in when the main landline is down. Previously it could only make 999 calls but a recent change seems to be that it will now behave in the same way as the landline phone, even when the main landline phone is down.

As you have stated you are 71 years of age and are concerned about the changes, which sound like they will leave you at a significant disadvantage, I would hope the forum team will revisit this topic to arrange the further help that it sounds like you need and should be entitled to.

Hi Goslow,
Many thanks for the thought. Whilst I do have a mobile phone (non Virgin), the plan I am on does not give me 'xxx' amount of 'free' calls and is only really for use with my wife and daughter's mobile phone. The thought is that, if I do have to give up the house phone, I might buy a monthly 'Add-On' to give me the 'free' minutes. The only problem with that is, that it would cost people who only have a landline a fortune to phone us ... this is especially bad as we live in SW UK and my wife's family live in N. Ireland.
We'll see how it goes.

Please do let us know if you need any further help with this @FDrvier and we will be happy to take a look and see what we can arrange for you. 

As goslow has stated we can arrange an appointment without charge to telephone extension sockets and we can also arrange the installation of the back up battery if needed. 

Thanks again

@Ashleigh_C wrote:

Please do let us know if you need any further help with this @FDrvier and we will be happy to take a look and see what we can arrange for you. 

As goslow has stated we can arrange an appointment without charge to telephone extension sockets and we can also arrange the installation of the back up battery if needed. 

Thanks again

Many thanks Ashleigh_C.  That is good to know 👍

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@FDriver wrote:

Hi Goslow,
Many thanks for the thought. Whilst I do have a mobile phone (non Virgin), the plan I am on does not give me 'xxx' amount of 'free' calls and is only really for use with my wife and daughter's mobile phone. The thought is that, if I do have to give up the house phone, I might buy a monthly 'Add-On' to give me the 'free' minutes. The only problem with that is, that it would cost people who only have a landline a fortune to phone us ... this is especially bad as we live in SW UK and my wife's family live in N. Ireland.
We'll see how it goes.

Well, if I have understood the new backup phone arrangements correctly, that behaves (and costs) the same as your landline package whether it is running through the backup phone (on mobile) or through the 21CV landline. That should be cost neutral for anyone calling your landline (and you) too (whether your are on the backup system or on 21CV).

VM forum staff will need to confirm for you that my interpretation of the pricing/call costs is correct but see replies when it was mentioned earlier today. See replies from this point below onwards from a customer using the backup system

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Sloppy-text-from-VM/m-p/5293697#M189901

Also worth noting that VM will do the extension wiring free of charge as part of the switchover changes but only at the time of the switchover. If you decide 6 months down the line you would like it doing, VM would charge the standard £25 non-fault call out. So might be worth giving all things consideration now while it should be cost free.