cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost text alert function from landline

simzep
Joining in

I recently connected my landline phone to my hub as requested. The phone is making and accepting calls, however the answer machine was setup to send a text alert to my mobile if I had a message left on it.This function no longer works. Can you please help me with this? My handset is a BT advanced one.

5 REPLIES 5

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi simzep, thanks for reaching out on our help forums.

We're sorry to hear of the problems after switching to our fibre landline services, as your mobile does no longer receive notifications for messages left to your answering machine.

Just to be 100% sure, is this a 3rd party answering machine you have connected or this is on the BT handset?

Also, would you be able to see if another handset/answering machine can be tested for the same issues to check if this is an error on the device or our line/service?

Please, let us know and we're eager to assist further.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, yes it is the bt handset that has an answering machine built in. I do not have any other equipment to test unfortunately. But the service was working the day before the switchover. So I assume it is your end of things or a very odd coincidence.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the reply and for sharing more, simzep.

Sorry to hear it all started as soon as the switchover took place, we wouldn't be able to guarantee all features and all devices work well with our fibre landline service 100%.

Have you tried a reboot or reset of both the hub and the handset to see if this error can be cleared out?

If this does not work, you may address this as a 3rd party device issue to our Gadget Rescue team at 0800 014 7398, it's a premium service but they are ace with helping customers with their devices - view more here.

Also, you may have a read on this page here for more on our home phone switchover process and check our ''compatibility and connectivity'' section where you'll find more info in regard.

Let us know if this is of help and how you get on.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@simzep wrote:

Hi, yes it is the bt handset that has an answering machine built in. I do not have any other equipment to test unfortunately. But the service was working the day before the switchover. So I assume it is your end of things or a very odd coincidence.

I think you'd be wasting your money with 'Gadget Rescue' IMHO.

From past topics about sending text messages via a VM landline phone (many topics of which went around and around in circles for a long time) I think the conclusion was that sending texts over a VM landline when connected via the VM hub (Purple zone) no longer becomes possible. See the VM phone guide

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

footnote at the bottom of page 29

Note: This service is only supported in areas 01-18. To check which area you’re in, go to virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia, or check your bill next to ‘Area reference’. Virgin Media Text isn’t available in the Purple area.

I'm in area 04 evidently. Disappointing this service isn't working. Not quite the hi Tec upgrade I was told it would be! 🥴 Thanks for the info tho.