cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

landlines

DPKR
Joining in

Needing help arise . had few calls re change of landline phone to WFI fibre optic ? 

My husband has a community alarm with fall bracelet  ,i.e. he falls they call me via there system linked to the landline. I have tired to explain it will not work with out the landline element . I have called the service that provide the alarm through my local council and they confirm i NEED a land line for the system to work. any one else with same problem , I'm very concerned 

5 REPLIES 5

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @DPKR,
Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
The phone system via fibre optic would still compatible with the alarm system that you have, the only issue that could arise is if the broadband service goes down as the emergency back up line that would be attached to your system would only be able to call 999 not your mobile number. 

Regards,

Steven_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DPKR wrote:

Needing help arise . had few calls re change of landline phone to WFI fibre optic ? 

My husband has a community alarm with fall bracelet  ,i.e. he falls they call me via there system linked to the landline. I have tired to explain it will not work with out the landline element . I have called the service that provide the alarm through my local council and they confirm i NEED a land line for the system to work. any one else with same problem , I'm very concerned 

The care alarm should still work with new VM phone line via the hub, but the phone line through the hub is dependent on the VM hub working (e.g. the phone line won't work in a power cut, for example).

VM will offer you an emergency backup line to make 999 only calls (which is essentially a mobile SIM connected inside a normal phone handset). This won't really be a suitable backup replacement for a fall alarm.

The care alarm companies have been very slow off the mark in responding to the pending landline changes (which will apply to all phone companies).

In the situation you have described, the care alarm company should be offering you an alternative kind of system which dials out via the mobile network (or alternatively a care unit base station which can automatically switch over to a mobile connection if the landline goes down for any reason).

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Your alarm provider should be making provision to move to a solution that doesn't require a landline. Both Virgin Media and Openreach (BT) are moving to cease providing the current analogue phone systems, and that's been the case for several years now.

The health monitoring sector have been aware of this for years too, so should be looking to swap systems to those that work over mobile networks.

For instance here's the pages from the health monitoring sector

https://www.tsa-voice.org.uk/campaigns/digital-shift/
https://www.uktelehealthcare.com/all-ip/
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Thanks Steven, idea of the alarm is avoid dialling 999 !   This is all new news to me , my provider of the alarm had no idea what i was talking about ! Just feeling pretty  stressed have more than enough to deal with with out this

VM folks that called me did not or could not understand my concern 

Thanks for coming back to us @DPKR but as @BenMcr has stated that the health care companies, should have been made aware of this as the older phone lines are being closed down as per a government directive to achieve this before 2025 so I'm not sure why they have told you that, more information about the changes to the services can be found here on the government site and from our own site here

Regards,

Steven_L