cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

landline switchover

patb63
Joining in

on 30th May my landline wasn't working. I checked with my neighbour and her's wasn't working either. checked the service status and it said no faults. Phoned VM and was told no faults in area and I said there must be as at least 2 of us were off. VOIP was mentioned - I knew nothing about it and said I needed to look into implocations before any move was made. I just wanted fault sorted. After further phone calls a technician was booked for 1st June. He said there was an area fault and whilst here rang the network team to get it logged and sorted. My neighbour was up and running by 2nd but I wasn't. Rang again on 3rd (all these calls made from a borrowed mobile phone as no other way of reporting (tried chat but couldn't get anyone to talk to 2 hrs). Eventually told that I had been switched to VOIP - this was against my wishes. I was told it couldn't be undone without an engineer visit which would be another 10 days without a phone.

There has been no communication from VM about this switch and if the technician who came on 1st hadn't shown me the adaptor required and said I could keep it I'd still be without a phone. I am nearly 75 years old and was very upset and confused about it all. Until I spoke to someone on 3rd I had no idea what was going on. 

Why was I switched? I am on cable for all my services and don't understand why I was the only moved to VOIP - would love to know the answer to this.

Why wasn't the outage on the web site? Why didn't the call centre know about it or even report it?

Very unhappy with it all.

I'm now stuck with my phone connected to router in a different room and can't hear it when my living room door shut.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@patb63 wrote:

No other option was offered or discussed. I would like my phone to be relocated back to my living room if it's possible.

You should not have to relocate your hub patb63.

VM routinely pushes this router-move option as it is undesirable to most customers, who refuse it, therefore absolving VM of responsibility for the work/cost.

Whether or not it is feasible to connect your hub phone line to your phone sockets may be site specific but it is also highly dependent on the individual VM tech who turns up to do the work.

Some VM tech's who visit customers have little/no idea on how to make phone connections and so seek to avoid the work. Some tech's are time limited on jobs which is another reason they seek to avoid the task.

There have been plenty of topics on here where a capable VM tech, who is willing to do the task, has successfully modified phone wiring to reconnect phone sockets to the hub. Unfortunately VM seems to have little/no ability to allocate the correct kind of tech to a given task.

If you wish to keep the phone in its current location, stick to your guns and get VM to do the necessary work to provide what you want, not the least cost/effort option a VM tech wants to force on you.

Good luck with getting it sorted as you require.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi patb63, thank you for posting on our help forums and welcome back to the community.

We're sorry to hear of this experience and the landline issues you've had due to an area outage and our landline switchover happening at the same time, we appreciate how confusing this may be for you as a customer. 😞

We'd love to help, from what you advised above we can tell there has been some miscommunication regarding the migration and we can explain what should have happened based on our processes.

Regarding the landline switchover, this is a migration we gradually do for all UK landline customers depending on the area they're at.

Please, visit this link here where we explain all the information and FAQs as well as our step-by-step process of completing this line switchover to our line via fibre optics network.

Also, allow us to advise all UK landlines from all providers will have switched to fire optics by the end of 2025 and we've already started this procedure in VM early this year.

Apologies for all the inconvenience caused in case our letters or emails sent to you in the past couple of months towards informing you about this change have been missed or not delivered, you should also have an adaptor via post.

In regard to the outage in your area, we're sorry to see this happened too as this may have been the case on 30/5 when the line issue first came up, however the switchover happened a day after so your line could only work via the hub since.

Furthermore, when an outage occurs it may take a while for our updates to show on the service status page and our systems as they're sent live from our engineers when on-site usually.

We can see you have a visit very soon from our engineer, please pop us an update once it's complete so we can check if you need anything more - they should be able to help with relocating the hub near your phone or vice versa if you need this.

Lastly, as you've expressed your dissatisfaction for this customer journey we'd be eager to see if you want us to look further into this matter and assist - amongst others we'd be able to discuss your options should you wish to remove the line etc.

Let us know how things go and if you need our support, cheers.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

patb63
Joining in

The engineer has just left after fitting an EBUL. He said the router could be moved to the living but as it's connected to my desktop PC where it is and the WiFi signal in the house isn't very good ( black ash mortar I think) I didn't think it was a suitable solution., so am stuck with the phone beside the router.

I now know everyone is moving by 2025 but I am still shocked that I was moved without my knowledge after trying to report a fault. I was without a phone for 5 days apart from a borrowed mobile. Not the best way to treat an old lady is it? No-one  I've spoken to in this area has been informed that the switchover is taking place ay time soon. In fact a technician told me it was scheduled for June 24.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for this reply an your update, patb63.

Again, sorry our communications did not reach you as we've sent this over to all impacted customers well in advance.

We do appreciate your concerns regarding the hub relocation, however as our staff that has visited the house has a better overview of this we'd trust that it may be best for your internet connection to keep the router close to your pc - did you discuss other options such as using an extension wall telephone socket or other on the visit?

To best assist you from here, please let us know if you still need some changes to your landline set up or a relocation - we'll be able to advise more once we know this.

Adri
Forum Team

patb63
Joining in

No other option was offered or discussed. I would like my phone to be relocated back to my living room if it's possible.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for confirming, just to be sure this would mean to relocate the hub to where the phone initially was however this may have an impact to your wireless internet quality based on what the engineer said.

I will send you a PM here so we can check this further and help out, please keep an eye for this and find the little white envelope at the top right-hand side of our page.
Click on this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@patb63 wrote:

You should not have to relocate your hub patb63.

VM routinely pushes this router-move option as it is undesirable to most customers, who refuse it, therefore absolving VM of responsibility for the work/cost.

Whether or not it is feasible to connect your hub phone line to your phone sockets may be site specific but it is also highly dependent on the individual VM tech who turns up to do the work.

Some VM tech's who visit customers have little/no idea on how to make phone connections and so seek to avoid the work. Some tech's are time limited on jobs which is another reason they seek to avoid the task.

There have been plenty of topics on here where a capable VM tech, who is willing to do the task, has successfully modified phone wiring to reconnect phone sockets to the hub. Unfortunately VM seems to have little/no ability to allocate the correct kind of tech to a given task.

If you wish to keep the phone in its current location, stick to your guns and get VM to do the necessary work to provide what you want, not the least cost/effort option a VM tech wants to force on you.

Good luck with getting it sorted as you require.

patb63
Joining in

Thanks goslow I'm trying 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey thanks for taking the time to chat with us today, patb63.

We hope what we've discussed today has helped, we'll be here to further support you with this matter where needed so please feel free to pop back and give us a shout should you need anything more.

Adri
Forum Team