Menu
angusm
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

landline and three sockets

Just looking to share a story about my landline, to see what other folks think.

I've lived here over 20 years, and when I moved in, the provider was still Cambridge Cable. There are three phone sockets in the house, two with the Cambridge cable logo, and one plain. In all that time, barring a few short-term drops, I've never had a major problem with the landline.

Anyway, something went wrong, and it needed an engineer to fix. Turns out a component had corroded. It was all fixed in a short time, and I was able to test two of the sockets, but not the third (the second one with the Cambridge cable logo) - I was in a rush to get something else done. When I did get round to checking, it doesn't work. I checked that the phone I was using worked (on one of the other sockets).

So I ring up VM, and I'm told that it will cost me £99, as it is an additional socket. Not happy with that.  This doesn't sound right. I had three working telephone sockets before the issue with the landline - I should still have three afterwards. I explained this to the VM call handler, who seemed then to be telling me that I also needed to pay £55 for the other additional socket, but I may have misunderstood.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: landline and three sockets

Your issue is (& this applies to all telco providers, not just Virgin) that only the master socket is the telcos property & therefore their responsibility. Extensions are classed as customers property. These can be put in & maintained DIY or by electricians/aerial installers as well as telcos, hence you pay for anything that has to be done to them

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Are you still working via a 'traditional' landline connection and haven't had your home phone sockets patched in to the back of the VM hub (for a 21CV connection)?

What kind of 'doesn't work' are you experiencing - totally dead socket, noise only, no ringing?

Are you able to identify your master socket (assuming you are still on a traditional connection)?

Are your sockets wired in a 'daisy chain' (one after the other) from the master socket?

The diagram below is a default kind of arrangement of an incoming cable, master socket and extensions wired as a daisy chain.

https://telephonesuk.org.uk/wiring-info/

The colour codes for the wires are a common default but may be different depending on the age of your wiring.

You may have a disconnection or break in the wires linking the sockets together. You might have a damaged socket or possibly corroded pins in the socket. Try gently moving the phone plug in and out of the faulty socket to see if it connects.

0 Kudos
angusm
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks, that does explain VM's attitude to the whole thing.

The engineer replaced the faulty component, and ensured that the main socket was working (property of VM) and because the extension upstairs was fed from that, then that also worked.

but the additional socket downstairs was not any concern of VM's as it is my property.

Still not sure what to do about the additional socket, but your answer tells me that there are other options besides VM to connect it back up again.

I think that answers my question, thanks.

0 Kudos
angusm
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, the extra socket may have a fault of its own besides the one that VM fixed with the corroded component. 

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @angusm

Welcome back to our Community and thanks for your post about your extension sockets. 

What @nodrogd advised was correct; I'll just explain a bit more about how it works with us as a provider. 

When taking out a standard telephone line with us, we will be happy to install a main master socket and also any extensions. These extensions are covered by the free fault callout for 12 months. After the 12 months, if you have an issue with any extensions we are still happy to come and visit but it would be a £99 call out charge. 

We will always maintain the master socket in your home and that will always have free fault call outs if needed. 

Hope that helps

Cheers 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Rad1o
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why do you not just open up the socket(s) where the engineer has worked and look at the back if he has inadvertently dislodged a cable. There are not many wires in a phone socket and there is no danger of eletrocution.

0 Kudos
angusm
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that's a good thought.

I need to get familiar with what the inside of that kind of box looks like, but there is a link in @goslow's post about that. The extra downstairs socket has its own cable running through the garage, which I need to trace back also to make sure what is what when it reaches the grey box on the outside of the house..

0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@angusm wrote:

Thanks, that's a good thought.

I need to get familiar with what the inside of that kind of box looks like, but there is a link in @goslow's post about that. The extra downstairs socket has its own cable running through the garage, which I need to trace back also to make sure what is what when it reaches the grey box on the outside of the house..

It is also possible that the VM tech deliberately disconnected a particular extension socket/cable if that was the connection that was causing the original fault on the line. Keep that in mind before you decide to reconnect anything. You might possibly end up recreating the fault you had in the first place!

0 Kudos