Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i cancelled tv and landline and youve raised my bill twice and are still charging me

I have Broadband, tv and landline.

But my 1 year contract was coming to an end and i did not want the price to hike up so i called up and cancelled the tv and landline and kept the broadband. it was cheaper just getting a second sky box in my room for the tv anyways.

originally i was paying 45 per month. then the price jumped up to 57.99 in january. thats when i phoned to cancel the tv and landline. now checking my bill its gone up again to 61.94.

my landline is still working as is the tv. neither have been turned off. i figured oh they will just cut them off at the end of the month, but looking at my account, it says my next 2 bills will be 61.94. despite the fact my contract has been updated to just be broadband at 37 pounds a month.

what is going on?

also ive received 2 phone calls today with a British automated message saying due to illegal activities my internet is being cut off in 24-48 hours, pressing 1 puts me to an American automated message, then im finally transferred to an Indian fella in a call center who says hes from BT. im assuming its a scam? once he finished blabbing i said im with Virgin and he stammered so i hung up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: i cancelled tv and landline and youve raised my bill twice and are still charging me

theres a number of things at play here or could be

last thing first the calls are a scam ignore them

coming to the end of your contract will involve a price increase as the introductory discounts will end - the new price should have been on your contract 

dropping the phone line at any time will not reduce your package cost - the way VM price packages it can increase the bill so there will have been no saving dropping that

if the cost of the TV was less than the increase because of the contract end that could explain the increase add to that you will have lost any package discounts

you need to talk to UK retentions to get clarity and a better deal [possibly] - so

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

that used to get you to a UK agent but some have reported it takes them to offshore - if it does say you want to give 30 days notice - that should then get you transferred - then just talk it through - you dont have to give 30 days notice at that point 

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: i cancelled tv and landline and youve raised my bill twice and are still charging me

but my current contract says it should be 37 a month. as did the guy on the phone.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

they just dont cut them off you have to give 30days notice so the next bill will be at the original price - there may also be split month costs which can complicate things 

VM will get to the thread and may be able to look at things but you need to speak to them really

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

yeh i should call but i have autism so i hate calling and they annoyingly removed live chat. and the last guy i spoke to was scottish and really hard to understand and rude.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi butters159,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, I am sorry if there is any confusion around your new package and your billing.

I understand you have been given a new deal, when was it that you made the changes?

The reason I ask is when you remove any services this is done on a 30 days notice period so the changes wont show until the bill after the 30 days has expired.

As an example if you gave notice on 15/01/20 the services will stop on 15/02/20 and the new price would show on the bill generated after 15/02/20 .

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Paul_DN with respect i already stated what you said - after escalating the thread i hoped you/VM could add a little more than just repeating what had already been posted

i assumed/hoped you could take this to PM and add some clarity

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi butters159,

The explanation above is how it typically works as advised by Tony, but if you’d like me to look at the specific bills and clarify the situation for you I’m more than happy to do so,

I will send you a private chat request if you do need further help please click on the purple envelope if not please ignore it.

Kind regards

Paul.